About This Chapter
Crisis Situations & Intervention - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores the steps professionals can take to assist individuals in the midst of crisis situations who are in need of some form of intervention. Use the lessons to closely examine crisis counseling and different circumstances that require this form of assistance. In no time, you will be able to:
- Identify and describe the important elements of crisis counseling
- Define suicide, and identify its triggers, underlying causes and prevention
- Explain the history, causes and effects of school and youth violence
- Discuss the history and causes of domestic violence
- Describe family challenges, including divorce, blended families and abuse
Resources in this chapter make it easy to fully comprehend crisis situations and intervention concepts. Mobile features enable you to access the lessons from any smartphone or tablet so that you can review these concepts when you're best able to absorb information. Lesson quizzes and a practice exam reinforce these concepts and further strengthen your understanding. If you hit a snag while studying and need additional details, submit your lesson topic questions to our experts.
1. Crisis Counseling & Intervention Strategies
This lesson will explore the important elements of crisis counseling. We will also discuss strategies for intervention. The lesson will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
2. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
3. School Violence: Definition, History, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will learn the definition and history of school violence. We will also discuss the causes and effects of school violence. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
4. Youth Violence: Definition & Causes
Most children act in negative ways at some point in their lives, so what really defines youth violence? This lesson examines different types of youth violence, as well as risk factors.
5. Domestic Violence: Definition, Causes, Facts & History
This lesson will provide the definition for domestic violence. It will also explore the history, causes, and facts about domestic violence. A short quiz on the subject matter will follow the lesson.
6. Family Challenges: Divorce, Blended Families & Family Violence
The following lesson covers some of the more challenging issues a growing number of families are currently facing, including divorce, blending of families, and abuse. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards