About This Chapter
Critical Thinking Skills for Nurses - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides you with a comprehensive overview of methods for teaching critical thinking skills to nurses. Lessons cover such topics as the critical thinking process and activities are particularly effective in developing these skills in nurses.
These lessons use either text or video and are prepared by professionals in the field of nursing education. They can help you gain a better understanding of critical thinking concepts that are essential to nurses. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define critical thinking
- List the five dimensions of critical thinking
- Understand how to teach critical thinking skills to nursing students
- Apply the strategy of direct instruction to teaching critical thinking skills
- Teach students to employ five actions that aid in the use of critical thinking skills
- Engage nursing students in activities that will further develop critical thinking
Experienced instructors guide you through brief but informative lessons, providing term definitions and examples that make it easy to learn the material. Lessons are easily accessible at any time, on any device, and you can view or read them as many times as needed. Take the self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to see how much you have learned and what, if any, topics you may need to study further.
1. What is Critical Thinking? - Definition, Skills & Meaning
Critical thinking is a term that we hear a lot, but many people don't really stop to think about what it means or how to use it. This lesson will tell you exactly what it means and make you realize that the average person largely ignores critical thinking.
2. Dimensions of Critical Thinking
If you have an important question to answer or a complex problem to solve, the process of thinking critically can determine coming to the right or the wrong conclusions. Continue reading to learn about five dimensions of critical thinking.
3. Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
Critical thinking is one of the most important habits a student can learn. This lesson helps you figure out what critical thinking skills are and how you can help your students develop them.
4. Using Direct Instruction to Teach Critical Thinking & Evaluation
Critical thinking is often one of those terms used to refer to a broad spectrum of skills. This lesson focuses on four areas where teachers can use instruction to foster critical thinking in their students.
5. Critical Thinking Skills in Nursing
This lesson will explain how critical thinking is useful in the nursing profession. We'll discuss five actions to aid them in critical thinking: recognition, questioning, gathering information, evaluation, and communication.
6. Critical Thinking Activities in Nursing Programs
Today, it's necessary for nurses to function as an extension of high-level care providers. Read this lesson to learn how Certified Nurse Educators help student nurses develop critical thinking skills to take better care of their patients.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) Exam Study Guide course
- Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Clinical Teaching Strategies for CNEs
- Understanding Learning Styles
- Methods of Delivery for CNEs
- Classroom Technology
- Communication Skills for CNEs
- Positive Learning Environments for Nurses
- Role of Diversity in Nursing Student Learning
- Goal Setting in Nursing Programs
- Learning Domains & Assessments
- Assessment Development
- Assessment Strategies
- Summarizing & Analyzing Educational Assessments
- Grading & Reporting Student Progress
- Curriculum Development in Nursing Programs
- Professional Development for CNEs
- Leadership Roles of CNEs
- Scholarship Roles of CNEs
- The Role of CNEs in the Academic Community
- Nursing Program Overview
- Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) Exam Study Guide Flashcards