About This Chapter
Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering - Chapter Summary
This mobile-friendly chapter offers expert instruction on a variety of science and engineering crosscutting concepts. After defining basic crosscutting concepts, you'll work through short and simple lessons that discuss various factors in engineered and natural systems. When you're finished, you'll be equipped to:
- Define Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) crosscutting concepts
- Understand patterns and cause/effect relationships across engineered and natural systems
- Describe quantity, scale and proportion across natural and engineered systems
- Explain phenomena and make predictions using various models
- Assess energy, matter, stability and change in natural and engineered systems
- Explain fundamental scientific concepts regarding function, structure and patterns
To help you check your understanding of these concepts, we've included interactive lesson quizzes, as well as a comprehensive chapter exam. You can work through the chapter at your own pace using your desktop, laptop, mobile device or tablet. Finally, if you have any questions about these topics, feel free to reach out to our instructors online.
1. What Are the NGSS Cross Cutting Concepts?
Crosscutting concepts play a critical role in the Next Generation Science Standards. Below, you'll learn what those concepts are, how they are applied, and why they are incorporated into the standards.
2. Scale, Proportion & Quantity Across Natural & Engineered Systems
At times, the world around us can be a difficult place to grasp. Three ways to help us make better sense of natural phenomena and engineered systems are scale, quantity, and proportion. You'll learn about each of these in this lesson.
3. Using Models to Explain Phenomena or Make Predictions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to apply models to explain phenomenon in science. We'll explain what models are, how they're used, and look at specific examples, including mathematical models.
4. Fundamental Scientific Concepts: Patterns, Structure, & Function
In this lesson we'll be looking at some basic concepts that run concurrently through all disciplines in science: patterns, structure and function. We'll discuss what each of these concepts mean and apply them to life, physical and Earth science.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards