About This Chapter
CSET Business: Career Development - Chapter Summary
Utilize this chapter's lessons to enhance your understanding of career development methods and prepare for the CSET Business exam. The following concepts are addressed individually in this chapter, helping you to correctly answer related questions on the exam:
- Determining the skills necessary to be competitive in the job market
- Using personality, skill-based and value-based assessments to choose a career
- Utilizing online career research tools
- Understanding the skills needed to land traditional and non-traditional careers
- Creating strong resumes and cover letters
- Preparing for job interviews
- Avoiding common pitfalls in job interviews
- Making professional contacts
- Finding and connecting with career mentors
- Changing careers
CSET Business: Career Development
California uses the CSET Business exam to gauge your readiness to teach business classes. Three subtests make up the business exam, covering topics in business management, marketing, accounting, finance, business environment and more. Subtest III has 40 multiple-choice questions and two constructed-response questions on information technology as well as business environment and communication, including a section on career development.
Each lesson in this chapter on career development has a corresponding self-assessment quiz that you can use to test your understanding of these principles. The quizzes also help you get familiar with the style of questions found on the exam.
1. Teamwork Skills in the Workplace: Definition & Examples
In today's modern corporate world, developing teamwork skills in the workplace has become a necessity. In order to survive such a competitive environment, companies need to promote a workplace that emphasizes teamwork.
2. How Can a Personality Career Assessment Help You Choose A Career?
What does your personality have to do with your career? And how can a 19th-century psychiatrist help you pick out your dream occupation? Watch this lesson to find out more about Carl Jung's career types and personality career assessments.
3. How Can a Skill-Based Career Assessment Help You Choose a Career?
Skills assessments, also called aptitude tests, are sometimes used to help people find a career based on what they are good at. In this lesson, we'll examine skills assessments in more detail, including what they do and don't tell you.
4. How Can a Value-Based Career Assessment Help You Choose A Career?
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to their work life. In this lesson, we'll explore work values, including what they are, some common work values, work values assessments, and how they can influence your career choices.
5. How Can an Interest Career Assessment Help You Choose a Career?
How can you find the right career for you? One thing that many people do is to consider their interests and how that can lead to a career. Watch this lesson to find out more about interest inventories and how they can help you find a suitable career.
6. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
7. Factors Affecting Occupational Choice: Psychological, Social, Economic, and Cultural
Occupational choice is affected by four factors: psychological, social, economic and cultural. An individual's job choice is molded by their family, morals, values, intelligence, abilities, finances and many other things.
8. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
9. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
10. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
11. Networking for Career Success: How to Make Professional Contacts
Having a strong network of business contacts can really help out your career. But how do you build a network? In this lesson, we'll look at ways to make contacts, including tips for networking.
12. How to Find and Relate to a Career Mentor
A mentor can help a person advance in their career and give them advice when they are in difficult situations. Watch this lesson to learn how to find a mentor and how to nurture that relationship over time.
13. Changing Careers: Using Your Talents in a New Way
Changing careers can be an exciting, but overwhelming, prospect. In this lesson, we'll examine how to make a smooth career change, including researching career prospects, identifying transferable skills, and networking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Business Subtest III (177): Practice & Study Guide course
- CSET Business - Computer Technology
- CSET Business - Information & Media Systems
- CSET Business - Ethics, Security & Data Integrity
- CSET Business - Network Communications
- CSET Business - Programming
- CSET Business - Entrepreneurship
- CSET Business - Business Communications
- CSET Business - International Business
- CSET Business Subtest 3 Flashcards