About This Chapter
CSET Business Subtest I: Management Functions - Chapter Summary
The tutorials in this chapter can increase your understanding of business functions and techniques in preparation for the CSET Business Subtest I. These lessons provide instruction in the following areas to support your success with correlative CSET questions:
- Identifying the fundamental functions of management
- Operating in a business environment
- Recognizing the purpose and importance of setting goals
- Understanding how to plan effectively
- Developing an organizational structure
- Embodying leadership in a business setting
- Establishing and adapting an effective controlling process
These videos provide concise, detailed overviews of each of these topics, often offering case studies and examples to help you assimilate the information. Grasping these concepts can give you a more extensive understanding of management as a process and help you answer associated CSET questions correctly.
Objectives of the CSET Business Subtest I: Management Functions Course
The CSET Business Subtest I is designed to discern potential teachers' comprehension of business as a discipline for preparedness to receive certification to teach the subject. The topics covered in this chapter relate to the first subtest (of three) of the examination. Subtest I contains questions relating to marketing and business management. Each of these lessons are accompanied by a related quiz that can help you prepare for the kinds of questions you'll encounter on the CSET.
Of the 42 questions on Subtest I, 40 are in multiple-choice format; 20 of these pertain to marketing, and the remaining 20 address business management. The test also includes one open-ended question each from the realms of business management and marketing.
1. Four Functions of Management: Planning, Organizing, Leading & Controlling
A person who holds a management position inside an organization is required to think strategically and conceptually in order to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will describe the four functions of management and how they relate to organizational success.
2. Business Environments & the Four Functions of Management
The business environment and the forces that push against it are something every manager must deal with and learn to work with. In this lesson, we will detail the four key functions of management and review how different forces present in the business environment impact these four key funtions
3. Goal Setting as a Function of Management
Watch this video lesson to learn how goals help a company and its employees to succeed both in the day-to-day operations and in the long term helping the company grow and become more profitable.
4. Planning as a Function of Management
In this lesson, you will learn the role of planning as a function of management. Discover the advantages of and barriers to planning, and how it is used to achieve organizational goals.
5. Organizing as a Function of Management
Once a plan is in place, a manager must put it into action. This lesson explains the role of organizing as a function of management as well as its relationship with planning.
6. Leading as a Function of Management
This lesson teaches you about leading as a function of management by examining the surprising similarities between two very different leadership scenarios: leadership at war and leadership in the workplace.
7. Controlling as a Function of Management
In this lesson, we will explore the role of controlling as a function of management and its use of various control mechanisms to reach organizational goals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Business Subtest I (175): Practice & Study Guide course
- CSET Business - Major Functions in a Business
- CSET Business - Managing Change
- CSET Business - Planning & Problem Solving
- CSET Business - Leadership
- CSET Business - Motivation
- CSET Business - Groups in Organizations
- CSET Business - Organizational Culture and Structure
- CSET Business - Ethical & Social Responsibility
- CSET Business - Business Law
- CSET Business - Production & Operations Management
- CSET Business - Human Resource Management
- CSET Business - Marketing Strategies and Concepts
- CSET Business - Sales, Promotion & Customer Service
- CSET Business - Global Marketing
- CSET Business Subtest 1 Flashcards