About This Chapter
CSET Business Subtest I: Production & Operations Management - Chapter Summary
Enhance your expertise in organizational production and operations management with the video lectures in this chapter. These lessons assist you in reviewing for the CSET Business exam by offering instruction in the following areas:
- Recognizing the impact and role of management in business quality, productivity, and profitability
- Identifying the components of business operations management (process planning, human capital, etc.)
- Establishing familiarity with PERT (program evaluation and review technique) analysis
- Interpreting and utilizing the Gantt chart
- Understanding the history and philosophy behind total quality management (TQM)
- Assimilating the five principles of TQM
- Identifying the eight principles of ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 9000
- Becoming familiar with the six elements of supply chain integration
The concepts in this chapter's lessons are presented in concise, subject-specific videos to help you grasp the material and pass the business CSET. All the tutorials incorporate topic delineations and lesson reviews, making them easy to follow and comprehend at your own pace.
Objectives of the CSET Business Subtest I: Production & Operations Management Chapter
The CSET is intended to gauge one's understanding of the principles of business and correlative readiness to be certified to teach it in California. The Production and Operations Management chapter's tutorials examine information included on the first subtest (out of three total) of the CSET Business exam. Quizzes that accompany each lesson help you discern how well you've assimilated the information, in addition to exposing you to the types of questions you'll encounter on the test itself.
The CSET Business Subtest I contains 40 multiple-choice questions and 2 constructed-response questions. For both formats, the number of questions is equally divided between the disciplines of business management and marketing.
1. Productivity, Quality, Profitability and the Role of Managers
Top-, mid- and low-level managers play a significant role in how productivity and quality affects profitability in an organization. Each level of management makes different decisions about productivity and quality that impact an organization's profitability.
2. The Processes of Production and Improving Productivity
In this lesson, learn about the different processes businesses use in the production of goods and services in our economy. You'll also learn about the concept of productivity and ways to improve it.
3. How Technology, Research & Development Affect Productivity
Economists consider productivity to be a nation's long-run growth engine. This lesson explores the connection between technology, research & development, and productivity, using real-world examples.
4. PERT Analysis & Project Completion
Time-based decision methods are used a great deal when a manager or company looks at a time-based project. To ensure the project can be done on time, managers use PERT analysis, a tool for estimating the time it will take to complete a project. This lesson will outline PERT and help you to understand how it is used to predict time based projects.
5. Gantt Charts & Bar Graphs: Henry Gantt's Contributions to Management
This lesson will describe how Henry Gantt revolutionized management practices by providing a graphical representation, also known as the Gantt chart, of work processes that showed scheduling and monitoring projections. Other contributions of Henry Gantt, such as the task and bonus system, will also be discussed.
6. Deming, Juran & Crosby: Contributors to TQM
W. Edwards Deming, Joseph Juran and Philip B. Crosby are three of the most influential people involved in the shift from production and consumption to total quality management (TQM). Their work significantly impacted how industries view customer satisfaction, employee needs and supplier relations.
7. Five Principles of Total Quality Management (TQM)
Total quality management (TQM) is achieved and becomes part of the overall organizational culture when the five principles - produce quality work the first time, focus on the customer, have a strategic approach to improvement, improve continuously and encourage mutual respect and teamwork - are practiced by all employees.
8. ISO 9000 Certification
An organization that is ISO 9000 certified believes in quality management systems that are focused on the needs of customers, employees, shareholders and suppliers while complying with statutory and regulatory guidelines for products and services.
9. Importance of Inventory in the Production Process
As you watch this video lesson, you will see how important it is to have just the right amount of inventory for your production process. Watch what happens when you have too much and when you have too little.
10. Supply Chain Management: Technology, Measurement, Relationship & Material Integration
Marketing managers realize how distribution can be costly if there is not an efficient plan in place. Supply chain management is a strategy that allows seamless integration of all pieces of the distribution chain.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Business Subtest I (175): Practice & Study Guide course
- CSET Business - Management Functions
- CSET Business - Major Functions in a Business
- CSET Business - Managing Change
- CSET Business - Planning & Problem Solving
- CSET Business - Leadership
- CSET Business - Motivation
- CSET Business - Groups in Organizations
- CSET Business - Organizational Culture and Structure
- CSET Business - Ethical & Social Responsibility
- CSET Business - Business Law
- CSET Business - Human Resource Management
- CSET Business - Marketing Strategies and Concepts
- CSET Business - Sales, Promotion & Customer Service
- CSET Business - Global Marketing
- CSET Business Subtest 1 Flashcards