About This Chapter
CSET English IV: Introduction to Creative Writing - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons will help you develop your creative writing skills in various genres, including poetry and fiction. You'll see examples of strong creative writing and learn the definition of various creative writing terms and techniques. Other lessons teach you about crafting different types of essays and writing literary fiction. The videos cover these concepts and techniques that will ready you for the exam questions:
- Definition and examples of creative writing
- Creative writing techniques for poetry, non-fiction and fiction
- Strong personal essays
- Definition, characteristics and examples of narrative essays
- Literature-based creative writing including fan fiction and responses
Expert instructors lead these video lessons, explaining the concepts needed for compelling creative writing. You get a strong foundation in writing techniques, while enjoying the short video lessons.
CSET English IV: Introduction to Creative Writing Objectives
All California teachers who want to be instructors in a specific subject must pass the appropriate California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET). The topics in the Introduction to Creative Writing chapter are covered in subtest IV on the CSET English exam. Subtest IV deals with creative performance, speech and media and contains four short-response questions.
The remainder of the CSET English test has 100 multiple-choice questions and two long-response questions. Each video lesson includes self-assessment quizzes that allow you to test your knowledge and get used to the format of the test.
1. How to Write a Strong Personal Essay
At some point, you may be required to write a personal essay. Watch this video to learn how to turn your personal experiences into an effective essay.
2. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
3. What is Creative Writing? - Definition, Types & Examples
Also known as 'the art of making things up,' creative writing is a vital part of modern society. This lesson will explore what makes writing creative and use famous examples to show you what makes creative writing successful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET English Subtest IV (108): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET English Test
- CSET English IV: Media, Journalism and Society
- CSET English IV: Oral Communication Processes: Speaking and Listening
- CSET English IV: Introduction to Public Speaking
- CSET English IV: Elements of Dramatic Performance
- CSET English IV: Major Dramatic Works: An Overview
- CSET English IV: Plays and Playwrights
- CSET English IV: The Writing Process
- CSET English IV: Literary Forms and Genres
- CSET English Subtest 4 Flashcards