About This Chapter
CSET Nature of Science: Historical Perspectives - Chapter Summary
Let our instructors show you how scientific observations are used to continuously re-evaluate existing theories and models. Video lessons and quizzes included here can help you answer CSET General Science Subtest I questions on the following topics:
- The development of scientific models and theories
- Scientific advances producing shifts in theories
- Examples of incomplete or flawed theories
- The importance of clear communication
This chapter on historical perspectives covers the same content found on the actual CSET exam. Instructional videos feature illustrations that can help improve your recall of important concepts, and the self-assessment quizzes might come in handy if you're looking to identify any topics requiring some extra study time.
CSET Nature of Science: Historical Perspectives - Chapter Objectives
The CSET General Science exam is used to award California teaching credentials in this subject area and consists of two general science subtests as well as one on chemistry, biology/life science, physics or Earth science. Subtest I includes 58 multiple-choice and two constructed response questions, some of which require a familiarity with the nature of science.
Test questions falling under this content domain will ask you to demonstrate your understanding of scientific theory's historical development and the role of reproducible, recorded observation in this process. You'll also need to be familiar with some examples of flawed or incomplete theories. Each of these topics are covered in this CSET chapter, which can be used to find out what's included on the exam and develop a study plan.
1. Early Atomic Theory: Dalton, Thomson, Rutherford and Millikan
Imagine firing a bullet at a piece of tissue paper and having it bounce back at you! You would probably be just as surprised as Rutherford when he discovered the nucleus. In this lesson, we are going to travel back in time and discuss some of the major discoveries in the history of the atom.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the CSET Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- About the CSET Science Test
- CSET: Astronomy
- CSET: Geodynamics
- CSET: Energy Resources
- CSET: Rock, Mineral, Soil & Water Resources
- CSET: Waves
- CSET: Forces and Motion
- CSET: Electricity and Magnetism
- CSET Science and Society: Science, Technology and Society
- CSET Nature of Science: Science Ethics
- CSET Science and Society: Safety
- CSET Investigation & Experimentation: Drawing Conclusions
- CSET Science Flashcards