About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Cubic Equations chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Cubic equations||Degree of 3, highest exponent and volume|
|Tuesday|| Perfectly cubed equations; |
Equations that are not perfectly cubed
| Difference of cubes and sum of cubes; |
Rational roots theorem
|Wednesday|| Using greatest common factor; |
Grouping to factor cubic equations
| Factors and greatest common factor; |
Grouping method and greatest common factor
|Thursday|| Solving with integers;|
Changing radical equations into linear or quadratic equations
| Rational roots test and synthetic division; |
Radical symbol and fractional exponent
|Friday||Squaring both sides of an equation twice||Squaring both sides method and removing radicals|
1. What is a Cubic Equation? - Definition & Examples
In algebra, you come across various kinds of functions. You start learning about linear functions, and then quadratic functions. Now, though, you come across cubic functions. What are they? Watch this video lesson to find out.
2. How to Solve Perfectly Cubed Equations
Watch this video lesson so you can identify perfectly cubed equations. Learn about the formula that helps you factor them and then to solve them. See how easy it is to use these formulas.
3. How to Solve Equations that are Not Perfectly Cubed
Watch this video lesson to learn what to do when you have a cubic equation that is not perfectly cubed. Learn an easy method to find all three roots or solutions.
4. Using the Greatest Common Factor to Solve Cubic Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify the cubic equations for which you can factor out the greatest common factor to help you solve them. Learn the steps you need to take to solve them.
5. Grouping to Factor Cubic Equations
Factoring a quadratic equation may seem super easy to you now as you step into the world of cubic equations. Watch this video lesson to learn one easy method that you can use to factor some cubic equations.
6. Solving Cubic Equations with Integers
Solving quadratic equations is one thing since you have the use of the quadratic formula, but what about solving cubic equations? Watch this video lesson to learn an easy method you can use to help you solve them.
7. Changing Radical Equations into Linear or Quadratic Equations
There are all kinds of equations you have to learn how to solve. In this video lesson, you will learn how to remove the radical symbol so you can easily solve equations with radicals in them.
8. Squaring Both Sides of an Equation Twice
Okay, so you got the whole solving for x part down. But what will happen if your x is inside a square root? What do you do then? Watch this video lesson to learn what you can do.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Basic Arithmetic in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Decimals & Fractions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Percent Notation in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Real Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Radical Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Matrices & Absolute Value in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Properties of Exponents in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Distribution Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Factoring in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Measurement & Geometry in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Data, Statistics, & Probability Lesson Plans
- Well-Known Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans