About This Chapter
Culturally Responsive Approaches in the Classroom - Chapter Summary
Careful consideration to different cultures that students may come from is a crucial part of being an effective teacher. Our lessons will offer you useful information that you can put into practice when responding to different cultures. As a busy educator, these lessons are available to you at any time during the day you need to access them. Lessons in this chapter will cover the following:
- The culturally responsive teaching method
- Strategies for culturally responsive classroom management
- Culturally relevant teaching approaches
How It Helps
- Allows adaptation: These lessons present you with different strategies for culturally responsive teaching, which will help you to respond to each student's individual culture.
- Fosters awareness of individual needs: Learning about the different elements of a culturally responsive classroom will make you more sensitive to the specific learning needs of a student.
- Increases engagement: Applying culturally relevant teaching to a classroom will increase student engagement in the learning process and the feelings of belonging in the classroom.
Once you have completed these lessons in this chapter, you will enhance your ability to:
- Select and incorporate different strategies that can be used to make your classroom more culturally sensitive
- Work effectively with each individual student regardless of his or her cultural background
- Align your classroom plans and teaching techniques with the demands of a culturally responsive classroom
1. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
2. Culturally-Responsive Classroom Management Strategies
A student's culture can play a large part in how they learn. When it comes to classroom management, knowing how to respond to and incorporate students' cultures can enhance student learning. Read on to learn more about culturally-responsive classroom management strategies.
3. Culturally Relevant Teaching: Strategies & Definition
This lesson will define culturally relevant teaching and illustrate how this approach to instruction can boost student engagement, increase students' feeling of belonging within their school, and positively impact student achievement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Classroom Management Strategies for Teachers course