About This Chapter
Culture & Beliefs of Ancient India - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to renew your knowledge of the first civilizations in ancient India. You'll learn how early Hinduism evolved and get information on the caste system. Other lessons examine the life and teachings of Buddha and the growth of Buddhism.
Our instructors will describe Indus Valley civilizations and the Mauryan Empire. After watching these video lessons, you'll be ready to answer questions on:
- Indigenous culture in ancient India
- Outside influences
- Buddhism's teachings and spread through India and Central Asia
- Hinduism's origins
- The cities of Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro
- The rules and laws of the Mauryan Empire
These lessons average about five minutes each, and you can watch them anytime, on a computer, tablet or smartphone. The self-assessment quizzes that follow every lesson offer a chance to gauge your knowledge and determine where your weaknesses lie. A clickable timeline allows you to quickly access key topics in the lessons for additional review.
1. Ancient India: Indigenous Culture & Outside Influences
This lesson will explore the history of ancient India. It will focus on the Harappan culture, their mixing with the Aryans, and the beginnings of the Hindu faith.
2. Brahmanism: Beliefs & Evolution into Early Hinduism
Brahmanism predates every other contemporary religion in India, but has had an impact, directly or indirectly, on all of them. This lesson discusses the mysterious past of Brahmanism and how Hinduism evolved from it.
3. The Caste System in Early India
Often misunderstood as an outgrowth of Indian religions such as Hinduism or Buddhism, the idea of social caste in India was actually started to maintain social order in the face of a diverse religious and social landscape.
4. Buddha: Life & Moral Teachings
With hundreds of millions of believers, Buddhism is one of the most influential religious traditions in the world. Learn more about its founder, his surprising early life and his basic teachings.
5. Buddhism's Spread in India, Ceylon & Central Asia
With the efforts of Ashoka, Buddhism soon spread throughout much of Asia. This lesson looks at how Buddhism spread, as well as how the faith split into two different systems. After you review the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz!
6. The Origins of Hinduism: the Indus River Valley & the Harappa Culture
This lesson will seek to explain the origins of Hinduism. Highlighting the Harappa culture and the Vedic period, it will also explore the Hindu beliefs in Moksha and Brahman.
7. Indus Valley Civilization: Harappa & Mohenjo-Daro
In this lesson, we will explore the mysterious Indus Valley civilization, which was located in modern Pakistan and reached its high point between about 2500 BCE and 1900 BCE.
8. The Mauryan Empire in India: Rulers & Edicts
In this lesson, we will study India's Mauryan Empire. We will learn about its rulers, explore its government and economy, delve into its religious life, and examine its decline and disappearance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA History (NT302): Practice & Study Guide course
- Historical Concepts & Research
- Understanding Historical Resources
- Events & Contributions of Early Civilizations
- Ancient Near East Civilizations
- The Bronze Age in the Near East
- Ancient Africa & the Americas
- Dynasties & Confucianism in Ancient China
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of Early Christianity
- The Byzantine Empire & Culture
- The Origins of Islam
- Contributions of Medieval European Politics
- The Crusades & Church Reform in Medieval Europe
- The Hundred Years' War
- Asia in the Middle & Late Middle Ages
- Africa & the Americas in the Middle & Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Protestant Reformation in Europe & Worldwide
- The Age of European Exploration & Discovery
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Colonialism in Europe, Africa & the New World
- Major Figures & Events of the Scientific Revolution
- The Enlightenment
- Asia & Africa in the 15th-18th Centuries
- Political & Technological World Developments (1750-1914)
- European & Japanese Imperialism
- Battles & Consequences of World War I
- Causes & Events of World War II
- Civilizations of the Americas Before & After Colonization
- Colonial Settlements & Battles in North America (1497-1732)
- Events Leading to the American Revolution (1700-1774)
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Birth of the United States (1776-1800)
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Sectional Crisis & the Start of the Civil War (1850-1861)
- Battles & Effects of the American Civil War (1861-1865)
- American Reconstruction & the Gilded Age (1865-1877)
- American Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- Figures & Events of the Progressive Era (1900-1917)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- American Life & Culture During the Roaring 20s (1920-1929)
- The Great Depression in the U.S. (1929-1940)
- American Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- American Civil Disobedience, Protests & Activism (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Politics & Major Figures of Contemporary America (1992-2013)
- AEPA History Flashcards