About This Chapter
Culture & Diversity in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
If your organization is looking to strengthen its culture and diversity, this entertaining chapter can help. Our lessons closely examine elements of a diverse workplace, the role of human resources in workplace diversity and Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory. This chapter also outlines strategies your organization can use to promote workplace diversity and manage cultural diversity.
All lessons in this chapter are available as short videos that last about 8 minutes each and whole transcripts your trainees can read online or print. Feel free to share the lessons in either format and also provide access to multiple-choice lesson quizzes designed to test your trainees' knowledge of key concepts. These resources are accessible 24 hours a day via a computer or mobile device.
How It Helps
- Builds a foundation: This chapter offers a comprehensive overview of cultural diversity in the workplace, characteristics of cultures and workplace inclusion.
- Provides strategies: Lessons offer detailed strategies your managers can use to effectively manage cultural diversity in your organization and your HR department can use to promote diversity and inclusion.
- Strengthens the workplace: Creating an environment of inclusion and diversity can encourage employees to respect each others' differences and make greater strides to work together in the best interest of your organization.
By the end of this chapter, your managers and HR department will be ready to:
- Describe five characteristics all cultures have in common
- Understand and utilize strategies for promoting workplace diversity and inclusion
- Explain the importance of cultural diversity in the workplace
- Discuss the relevance of cultural standards and values to your organization
- Effectively manage cultural diversity in your organization
- Examine and explain the importance of cultural knowledge in the international business market
1. The Five Basic Characteristics of Cultures
In this lesson, learn about culture. We will review the five characteristics that all cultures have in common with one another and look at some examples.
2. Practical Application: Characteristics of Culture Infographic
Culture is so much more than the geographic, political, and religious features of a particular group. Understanding the major characteristics of culture helps increase tolerance and diversity.
3. Role of HR in Promoting Workplace Diversity & Inclusion
In this lesson, we'll examine the definition of diversity and inclusion in the workforce. We'll also discuss methods HR (human resources) may use to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
4. Cultural Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Cultural diversity is a form of appreciating the differences in individuals. The differences can be based on gender, age, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and social status. Companies have realized the value in acquiring a diverse workforce.
5. Cultural Standards & Values in the Workplace: Knowledge & Application
This lesson defines culture and cultural standards and explains cultural standards and values in the workplace, including knowledge and importance of cross-cultural skills.
6. Managing Cultural Diversity in the Workplace
In this video, we will define the term 'cultural diversity.' In addition, we will explore methods by which supervisors can utilize hands-on strategies that welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace.
7. Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions Theory
Dimensions of culture are an important aspect of international business. Knowing how cultures view different aspects of business can help a manager navigate through the international business market.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Cultural Agility for Organizations course