About This Chapter
Culture for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
Expose your students to many cultures using this powerful and helpful study resource. They learn about the ancient cultures of Mexico and South America, the art of Leonardo da Vinci, the cave paintings of prehistoric people and much more. The quizzes, videos and text lessons make this resource a great help in the classroom as an addition to regular instruction, extra preparation for tests, or help with homework. The lessons are short, yet provide comprehensive information in a lively and engaging way that makes learning fun. Chapter tests and quizzes enable you to measure their progress and retention.
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with culture will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about culture.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding facts about culture
- Students with learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about culture
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about the humanities (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about culture
- Students who struggle to understand their humanities teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra humanities resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the culture topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts and highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about culture.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands culture by completing the Culture for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. The Five Pillars of Islam: Lesson for Kids
The Five Pillars of Islam will give you an introduction to the Muslim faith. Learning these obligations will help you understand what Muslims believe and the basic tenants of the religion.
2. Aboriginal Art: Lesson for Kids
For thousands of years, Aborigines have been creating unique works of art in Australia. In this lesson, learn who the Aborigines are, and find out about the different kinds of art they have created throughout history.
3. Greek Culture: Lesson for Kids
The ancient Greeks had special cultures and practices, many of which are practiced today. In this lesson, learn about the art and architecture, religious beliefs, theaters, and festivals of ancient Greece.
4. Cave Paintings: Lesson for Kids
Prehistoric cave paintings have been located throughout the world. In this lesson, learn about the first cave paintings ever discovered, see the locations of ancient cave paintings, and find out about the materials used to create these works of art.
5. St. Lucia's Day: Lesson for Kids
St. Lucia's Day is a holiday that begins the Christmas season in Sweden. In this lesson, learn the history of this celebration, and discover the foods and traditions of St. Lucia's Day.
6. The Inca's Culture: Lesson for Kids
The Incas were an ancient group of people who lived in South America roughly between the years 1200 and 1500. In this lesson, learn about the culture of the Inca people, including their art, architecture, and religious beliefs.
7. Leonardo Da Vinci's Art: Lesson for Kids
Are you curious? Do you like to discover new things and test new ideas? Leonardo da Vinci did and it led him to become one of the most brilliant painters of all time. This lesson will teach you about da Vinci and the incredible artwork he created.
8. Brazil's Culture: Lesson for Kids
Brazil is the largest country in South America, and it has a very unique culture. In this lesson, learn all about this country, including popular sports, religions, foods and traditions of Brazil.
9. Mexican Culture Lesson for Kids
Mexico is a country filled with pride and unique traditions and celebrations. In this lesson, learn about the culture of Mexico, including the food, artwork, and special holidays that are celebrated in this North American country.
10. Iditarod Lesson for Kids
Have you ever seen ''Balto'' or read ''Call of the Wild'' and dreamed of racing a team of dogs in an adventurous dogsled race? The Iditarod is the most famous dogsled race and in this lesson we will learn all about it.
11. Kwanzaa Lesson for Kids: Facts & Traditions
Kwanzaa is a holiday celebrated from December 26 to January 1. In this lesson, learn about the history, symbols, and traditions people perform when honoring the holiday of Kwanzaa.
12. Christmas Traditions Around the World Lesson for Kids
One of the most festive times of year is the Christmas season. In this lesson, learn how different countries and cultures celebrate Christmas with unique traditions and foods.
13. Facts About Aboriginal Australians: Lesson for Kids
Aboriginal Australians were original inhabitants of the island continent, and many of their descendants celebrate Aboriginal culture today. In this lesson, learn about the history and traditions of Aboriginal Australians, and discover the challenges they faced when other countries colonized their land.
14. Ancient Egypt's Culture: Lesson for Kids
Ancient Egypt has a very unique history and culture. In this lesson, explore Egypt's religious history, famous kings and queens, and amazing artwork and architecture.
15. Australia Day Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
A major holiday in the land down under is Australia Day. In this lesson, learn about the history of Australia Day, and how people celebrate the holiday with traditions and symbols.
16. Australia Facts: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wanted to travel to Australia, the country down under? Take a virtual field trip to explore this country's culture, wildlife and history!
17. Christmas in Sweden Facts: Lesson for Kids
Christmas is full of tradition and festivities in Sweden! In this lesson, learn about the history of Saint Lucy, Swedish Christmas food, and special holiday traditions that make Christmas in Sweden so unique!
18. Culture of Italy: Lesson for Kids
Italy is a country in Europe filled with history and culture. In this lesson, discover what makes Italy so special, including its food, arts, architecture, and people!
19. History of Aboriginal Australians: Lesson for Kids
Thousands of years ago, a group of people, now known as Aborigines, settled on the island continent of Australia. In this lesson, learn about their unique culture and traditions, as well as some of the challenges they faced.
20. History of Islam: Lesson for Kids
This lesson will give you an inside look at the history of Islam, a religion practiced by many people in the Middle East and northern Africa. Read on to learn more about the second-largest religion in the world.
21. History of Puerto Rico: Lesson for Kids
Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States located in the Atlantic Ocean. In this lesson, learn about the original inhabitants of Puerto Rico, the history of this island, and its modern significance.
22. Islam Facts: Lesson for Kids
Islam is one of the major religions practiced around the world. In this lesson, learn about the beliefs and practices of those who believe in the religion of Islam.
23. Mayan Culture: Lesson for Kids
Many people in today's Mexico and Central America are ancestors of the ancient Mayan civilization. In this lesson, learn about different aspects of the Mayans, including their writing, religion, buildings, and what they did for fun.
24. Puerto Rico Facts: Lesson for Kids
Puerto Rico is a territory located in the Caribbean. In this lesson, explore Puerto Rico's history, geography, and climate. Learn about the amazing wildlife and culture found there!
25. Texas Symbols: Lesson for Kids
Let's travel to the Lone Star state of Texas! In this lesson, learn about many different symbols of the 28th state including animals, plants, and foods!
26. Thailand Culture: Lesson for Kids
The Asian country of Thailand is full of history, tradition, and culture. In this lesson learn about the foods, religion, languages, and practices that make this country so special!
27. Maasai Tribe Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn all about the Maasai, a tribe in Africa who live in villages and take care of cattle. You'll learn about the importance of cows to the Maasai, the role of the warrior, the Maasai houses, and how the Maasai live today.
28. Day of the Dead Lesson for Kids
On November 2, many people in parts of Mexico and around the world honor loved ones who are no longer living. In this lesson, learn about the history and traditions of the holiday known as the Day of the Dead.
29. Greek & Latin Roots Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn about some common and helpful Greek and Latin roots. Greek and Latin roots are very common in the English language, and knowing their meanings can help you figure out an unknown word.
30. Brazilian Carnival Facts: Lesson for Kids
Carnival is a huge celebration in Brazil and around the world. In this lesson, learn about the costumes, traditions, foods, and dancing that happen in Brazil during Carnival.
31. Buddhism Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Buddhism is an ancient religion that is practiced today in many areas of the world. In this lesson, discover how Buddhism emerged, learn about Buddha, and identify some of the main beliefs of the religion.
32. Chinese New Year Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
The Chinese New Year is the biggest celebration and holiday in China. In this lesson, discover the history of this holiday, and the symbols and traditions people share not just in China but all over the world.
33. Christianity Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
There are many religions in the world, but how did Christianity get started? What do Christians believe in? Why has Christianity spread so far? Learn the answers to those questions in this lesson.
34. Cinco de Mayo Facts: Lesson for Kids
Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that has a rich history. In this lesson, learn why this holiday is recognized and how people throughout the world celebrate the fifth of May.
35. Earth Day Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Earth Day is a global holiday celebrated every year in April. In this lesson, learn about the history of this holiday and discover how you can celebrate Earth Day every year!
36. Easter Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Learn about the history of Easter and why it is celebrated. Read about some of the traditions associated with the holiday, and the origin of these customs.
37. Groundhog Day Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Can a rodent predict the seasons? Maybe so. In this lesson, learn about the tradition of Groundhog Day and the festivities at Gobbler's Knob with Punxsutawney Phil.
38. Hanukkah Lesson for Kids: Facts & History
Hanukkah is a festival celebrated every year by people of the Jewish faith. In this lesson, learn about the history of this holiday, and discover traditions and ways that people celebrate this Feast of Lights.
39. Hinduism Lesson for Kids: Facts & Basic Beliefs
Hinduism is a collection of religious beliefs, practiced by millions of followers around the world. In this lesson, learn how and where Hinduism emerged, and find out about this religion's major beliefs, practices, and celebrations.
40. Mardi Gras Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
You may have heard of the celebration of Mardi Gras, but do you really know how it got started? In this lesson, learn about this holiday's long history, popular traditions, and famous celebrations.
41. Valentine's Day Lesson for Kids: Facts & History
Valentine's Day is a holiday celebrated around the world in February. Learn about the history of this famous day, and discover some interesting facts in this lesson.
42. French Culture Facts: Lesson for Kids
The European country of France is famous for its special culture. In this lesson, explore many cultural aspects of France including delicious food, inspiring artwork, religion, and entertainment.
43. Color Lesson for Kids: Theory & Chart
In this lesson, you will learn about theories and explanations of what color is and how different colors work together. You will understand how colors interact to create new colors and how to categorize different colors.
44. Types of Furniture Lesson for Kids
Furniture comes in all types, and it has changed throughout history. In this lesson, learn about the historical origins of furniture, how furniture has adapted over time, and different types of furniture.
45. Frank Lloyd Wright: Lesson for Kids
Frank Lloyd Wright is considered one of the greatest architects of the 1900s. This lesson will give a brief biography of his life and the buildings he designed.
46. Native American Art Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
In this lesson, learn about different forms of Native American art, find out how this artwork used natural resources and materials and discover how pieces were used in everyday living.
47. Native American Folktales: Lesson for Kids
A folktale is told by one person to another and gets passed down through the generations. Native American tribes all over the country are known for their folktales, which storytellers made come alive. In this lesson, you'll learn about creation stories and trickster stories from the Ojibwe and Salishan tribes and more.
48. Pop Art Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Who knew you could become famous by painting soup cans, ketchup bottles or sunglasses? Many artists became famous in the mid-1900s by creating pop art paintings based on everyday products, which we'll learn about in this lesson.
49. Andy Warhol Lesson for Kids: Biography & Art
Can you imagine becoming famous for painting soup cans? In this lesson, you'll learn about the life and art of Andy Warhol, an artist who became famous for painting an ordinary item from the grocery store.
50. Egyptian Art Lesson for Kids: Facts & History
Ancient Egyptians were famous for creating different types of artwork. In this lesson, learn how religion influenced many forms of Egyptian art, and discover how ancient Egyptians used natural materials to create pottery, paintings, and impressive architecture.
51. Australian Culture: Lesson for Kids
Australia is a country and also a continent sometimes called the 'Land Down Under.' In this lesson, explore the food, entertainment, and recreational activities that make up the culture of this amazing place.
52. Buddha Lesson for Kids: Story & Teachings
Siddhartha the Buddha was a prince who decided to explore and change the unhappiness in his life. In this lesson, learn about the story of Buddha, and find out about his teachings and how Buddhist ideas are practiced today.
53. Christmas in Germany: Lesson for Kids
Christmas is a magical time all over the world. In this lesson, learn about the unique foods, customs and events that make Christmas in Germany a very special holiday.
54. Christmas in France: Lesson for Kids
Christmas is a holiday that millions of people celebrate all over the world in many different ways. In this lesson, learn how the French enjoy special foods and traditions during the Christmas season.
55. Christmas in Australia: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered how other countries celebrate Christmas? In this lesson, learn how people in Australia celebrate this holiday with special foods, symbols, and traditions.
56. History of Christmas: Lesson for Kids
For many people, Christmas is an exciting and magical time of year. In this lesson, learn about the history of this holiday and how the celebrations have changed throughout the years.
57. Irish Culture: Lesson for Kids
A country has unique traditions, symbols, and foods that make up its culture. In this lesson, learn all about the culture of Ireland and find out why the Irish are proud of their traditions.
58. Italian Art: Lesson for Kids
Italy is a European country famous for outstanding works of art. In this lesson, discover Italian artists who have created famous paintings, sculptures and other artistic creations.
59. Renaissance Art: Lesson for Kids
The Renaissance was a fascinating time in history. In this lesson, learn when and why the Renaissance occurred, the different kinds of art that was created, and the artists that contributed to this time period.
60. Harlem Renaissance Lesson for Kids: Timeline & Facts
The Harlem Renaissance was a period of time in the early 1900s when African-American music, literature, and art flourished. In this lesson, learn about the events of the Harlem Renaissance, and discover how this cultural movement had an impact on the civil rights of African-Americans.
61. Roman Art Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Ancient Roman civilization ruled over much of three continents for many years. The Romans were well-known for their artistic style and much of their art survives and is popular even in modern times.
62. Rosh Hashanah: Lesson for Kids
Rosh Hashanah is a new year's celebration found in the Jewish faith. In this lesson, learn when this holiday occurs, discover traditions that are practiced and foods that are eaten during Rosh Hashanah.
63. Culture Definition: Lesson for Kids
What makes a group of people special and different? In this lesson, learn the definition of culture and how different practices and traditions come together to create culture.
64. Scientific Revolution Lesson for Kids: Causes & Timeline
When did science become important? Many would say it was during the 16th and 17th centuries, which is when the Scientific Revolution took place. Learn about the events and scientists of the Scientific Revolution.
65. African American Culture Facts: Lesson for Kids
African American culture has been a part of the history of the United States for some 400 years. Learn about the development of culture unique to African Americans and the changes that have affected black music, literature, and food.
66. African American Art: Lesson for Kids
African-Americans have contributed amazing works of art to communities all over the country. In this lesson, learn about the history of African-American art, how it has changed over time, and different ways African-American artists express themselves.
67. Legend of the Lost City of Atlantis Lesson for Kids
One of the greatest legends in all of history has been the Lost City of Atlantis, an advanced civilization that was thought to have sunk beneath the ocean centuries ago. Learn about this legend and its significance in this lesson.
68. Chinese Food Culture: Lesson for Kids
For the Chinese, their food culture has been shaped over thousands of years to be the very delicious style that it is today, but there is much more to it than just what is eaten. Keep reading to learn all about the unique food culture of the Chinese.
69. History of Chinese Food: Lesson for Kids
For the Chinese, food is a central part of any family or social gathering. But the Chinese cuisine (cooking style) that you might know today took thousands of years to develop. Let's learn about the evolution of Chinese food.
70. Ancient & Traditional Chinese Food: Lesson for Kids
Every culture has their own unique cuisine (food style), and China is no exception with a history dating back thousands of years to when rice was first farmed. Let's learn about all the delicious foods they began eating way back then, and continue to eat today.
71. Food in China Facts: Lesson for Kids
Food is one of the major staples of a country's culture. Come and learn about food in China. In this lesson, there will be a focus on regional differences, cooking techniques, common ingredients, and popular dishes.
72. Peruvian Food Facts: Lesson for Kids
Peru is a country in South America that has a variety of interesting foods. In this lesson, learn about the national dish of Peru and discover unusual and traditional foods that are eaten.
73. Animals in the Circus: Lesson for Kids
The animals are always one of the biggest attractions for circuses, both modern and ancient. They include huge animals, trained to put on a show, from all over the world. Learn about circuses and their animals in this lesson.
74. History of the Circus: Lesson for Kids
Circuses have delighted adults and children alike for hundreds of years. In this lesson you will learn about the history of circuses all the way from horse shows to traveling animals and oddities.
75. Clown Facts: Lesson for Kids
Do you know what kind of skills a clown must learn to make people laugh? In this lesson, discover the different types of clowns. Find out what famous actors went to clown college.
76. Japanese Culture: Lesson for Kids
Japan is a country that has a unique culture. In this lesson, learn about different aspects of Japanese culture, including art, food, religion, and customs.
77. Japanese Food: Lesson for Kids
Did you ever notice that you can tell a lot about a country by its food? The Japanese take their food pretty seriously, and even consider it a form of art. Read this lesson to find out more about Japanese food.
78. Samoan Culture: Lesson for Kids
Talofa! That's the way to say hello or to greet someone in Samoan. In this lesson, you'll learn about the culture of the Samoan people, including what they eat, how they live, and what they believe is most important.
79. Samoan Art: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever seen a tattoo? They're common now, but did you know they have been around for thousands of years? In this lesson, you'll learn about Samoan art, including 'tatau,' or tattoos.
80. Regionalism in Art: Lesson for Kids
A 'region' is a part of a country. What could 'regionalism' have to do with art? Find out in this lesson as you read about some famous regionalist artists, what they painted, and their most famous paintings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Humanities for Kids course
- Music for Elementary School
- Being Responsible for Elementary School
- Spanish for Elementary School
- Musicians for Elementary School
- Artists for Elementary School
- Sports for Kids
- Psychology Basics for Elementary School
- Nations of the World for Elementary School
- Humanities Basics for Elementary School
- Native American Tribes for Elementary School