About This Chapter
Culture, History & Politics in Spanish-Speaking Countries - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter to learn about the history, culture and politics of many Spanish-speaking countries. These bite-sized lessons offer insight into Mexican, Central American, South American, Caribbean and Spanish customs, cultural patterns and cultural practices. Each lesson is taught by a subject matter expert, and we've included self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter to help you reinforce your understanding of the material. You can also access these resources on any computer or mobile device. When you're done, you should be equipped to:
- Describe the culture, history and politics of Mexico, Central America, Caribbean South America, the Andes and the Pampas
- Recognize the cultural patterns of the Caribbean, South America and Central America
- Relate information about Spanish culture, customs and food
- Talk about the common cultural practices and products of Spanish-speaking countries
- Discuss the similarities and differences between cultures in Spanish
1. Culture, History & Politics of Mexico
This lesson explores the country of Mexico. It highlights the country's native tribes and the impact of Spanish colonization. It also discusses the single-party political domination of the PRI.
2. Culture, History & Politics of Central America
This lesson explores the region of Central America. It discusses how it has been impacted by European colonization, its categorization as part of the developing world, and the effect of the Cold War on its politics and its people.
3. Culture, History & Politics of Caribbean South America
This lesson focuses on the lands of Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, and French Guiana. It highlights the colonization of these areas by countries like Spain, France, and the Netherlands.
4. Cultural Patterns of the Caribbean, Central & South America
This lesson describes the cultural patterns of the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. It will specifically highlight the influences of Europe, Africa, and the ancient tribes of the regions.
5. Culture, History & Politics of the Andes & the Pampas
This lesson explores the history of the Andes and Pampas region of South America. It explains how Spanish colonization and the rule of the Criollos has shaped the region's culture and politics of today.
6. Spanish Culture: Customs, Facts & Food
Spanish culture is rich in history with its unique customs and delicious food. This lesson highlights the country's popular traditions, provides some interesting trivia, ending with an overview of the most delicious foods from Spain.
7. Discussing Common Cultural Practices in Spanish-Speaking Countries
The Spanish-speaking world is very rich and diverse in terms of cultural practices. However, there are some common cultural practices that you can learn about and discuss by using the vocabulary this lesson gives you.
8. Discussing Common Cultural Products of Spanish-Speaking Countries
Would you like to be able to discuss cultural products of Spanish-speaking countries? This lesson gives you not only the vocabulary you need but also some expressions around this topic.
9. Discussing Similarities in Cultures in Spanish
Would you like to be able to talk about the cultural similarities between different Spanish-speaking countries? This lesson not only gives you a few basic topics you can discuss but also a context for making comparisons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Spanish Language and Culture: Exam Prep course
- The Spanish Alphabet
- Basic Spanish Writing Conventions
- Spanish Verb Tenses
- Complex Spanish Verb Tenses
- Conjugations of Common Spanish Verbs
- Spanish Conversational Basics
- Describing People & Places in Spanish
- Expressing an Opinion in Spanish
- Understanding Spanish Texts
- Writing in Spanish
- Latin American Geography
- Cultural Etiquette in Spanish-Speaking Countries
- Discussing Politics in Spanish
- Discussing Environmental Issues in Spanish
- Discussing Science & Technology in Spanish
- Discussing Social Issues in Spanish
- Discussing Families & Communities in Spanish
- Discussing Art & Architecture in Spanish
- Discussing Aesthetics & Beauty in Spanish
- AP Spanish Language & Culture Flashcards