About This Chapter
CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Grammar Mechanics - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our expert instructors in this series of lessons to review the rules of punctuation and capitalization. Use these lessons to improve your writing skills for the City University of New York (CUNY) Assessment Test in Writing (CATW). Before you take the exam, make sure you complete these lessons to have firm understanding of:
- Patterns in punctuation and grammar development
- Uses of apostrophes
- Correct uses for parentheses and dashes
- Purposes of ellipsis and dashes
- Hyphenation conventions
- Comma uses
- Capitalization rules
These lessons are mobile device compatible so that you can watch them on your tablet or phone just as well as you can on your computer. To reinforce your understanding of the material presented in these videos, read the lesson transcripts that present you with written overviews of the lessons and identify the key vocabulary of the chapter. If you develop any questions about these topics, send them to our instructors for clarification.
CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Grammar Mechanics Objectives
The objective of the CUNY Assessment Test in Writing is to measure the writing skills of students applying for admission into a CUNY school. It is one subtest of the CATs, and you'll have you write an essay in response to a passage during a 90-minute testing session. Use this chapter to insure you know the grammatical rules of punctuation and capitalization before you are tasked with writing this essay.
1. What Is Grammar? - Exercises & Overview
In this lesson, we'll look at the grammatical structure of the English language. What are the basic parts of speech that make up the building blocks of sentences? Keep reading, and you'll see!
2. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
3. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
4. The Purposes of the Ellipsis and Dashes
In this lesson, we will learn when and how to use ellipses, en dashes and em dashes. These can be used to indicate a pause or a break in text. Ellipses can also be used to indicate an omission of text.
5. How to Use and Interpret Hyphenation Conventions
In this lesson, we will define hyphens, discuss the rules for using a hyphen correctly, and then explain why a hyphen is important for clarity in your writing.
6. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
7. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Practice & Study Guide course
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Using Grammar
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Understanding Word Choice
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Sentence & Paragraph Types
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Sentence Structure
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Structure in Writing
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Types of Writing
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Developing Writing Skills
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Effective Writing
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Developing Revision Skills
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Types of Literature
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Analyzing & Interpreting Passages
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing: Understanding Literature
- CUNY Assessment Test in Writing Flashcards