About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Current Issues & Trends in HRM chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Affirmative action||Civil Rights Act, discrimination, protected group, adverse impact|
|Tuesday||Ability and disability diversity; age diversity||Americans with Disabilities Act, differences as assets, dyslexia, cerebral palsy; corporate culture, baby boomers, salary variance, intergenerational communication|
|Wednesday||Gender diversity and cultural diversity||Equal gender proportion, invisible barriers, salaries, different cultures, sensitivity training, increased prejudices|
|Thursday||Workplace violence||Statistics, at or outside the workplace, mitigating violence|
|Friday||Human resource information systems and alternative work arrangements||Information management, access, company policies, job descriptions, tracking applications; telecommuting, virtual team, flexibility, drawbacks|
1. Affirmative Action: Definition and Effects on Diversity in the Workplace
Affirmative action creates a diverse workplace for organizations. Legislation was passed to help protected groups not have an adverse impact on employment opportunities. In this lesson, find out the difference between protected groups and adverse impacts.
2. Affirmative Action Lesson Plan
Affirmative action is a controversial topic. In this lesson plan, students investigate the roots of affirmative action, then debate the pros and cons.
3. Ability and Disability Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Everyone has both strengths and limitations, and it is the diversity of these things that makes for a great workplace. In this lesson, we'll examine ability and disability diversity in the workplace, including the ADA and sensitivity training.
4. Age Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Age diversity is the ability to accept all different types of ages within a business environment. Companies have to adjust to an aging population in various ways.
5. Gender Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Gender diversity deals with equal representation of men and women in the workplace. In this lesson, we will explore trends and issues with gender diversity in the modern workforce.
6. Cultural Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Cultural diversity is a form of appreciating the differences in individuals. The differences can be based on gender, age, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and social status. Companies have realized the value in acquiring a diverse workforce.
7. Cultural Diversity Lesson Plan
Cultural diversity is an important topic in modern society. This lesson plan uses an informative text lesson to teach students about culture and an activity to assess the diversity present on campus.
8. Workplace Violence: Trends and Impact on Human Resources
The workplace can be a dangerous place, and many workers are victimized by violence while on the job every year. In this lesson, you'll learn about violence in the workplace and steps that HR can take to reduce it.
9. Human Resource Information Systems: Costs & Benefits to Employees, HR and Organizations
While we may be heading to a 'paperless' office, the amount of information handled by HR professionals seems to keep growing. In this lesson, you'll learn about human resource information systems and how they can help with information management.
10. Pros & Cons of Alternative Work Arrangements: Home Office, Virtual Teams and Telecommuting
Alternative work arrangements have become an important trend in work over the past quarter century. In this lesson, you'll learn about some different types of alternative work arrangements, including the pros and cons of utilizing them. A short quiz follows the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Resource Management Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Overview of HRM Field: Lesson Plans
- Organizational Theories & Human Resources: Lesson Plans
- Job Analysis & Design: HRM Lesson Plans
- Staffing in Organizations: HRM Lesson Plans
- Training & Development in Organizations: HRM Lesson Plans
- Performance Appraisals: HRM Lesson Plans
- Employee Compensation Issues: HRM Lesson Plans
- Employment Law & Employee Rights: HRM Lesson Plans
- Labor Relations: HRM Lesson Plans
- International Human Resource Management: Lesson Plans