About This Chapter
Current & Magnetism - Chapter Summary
Each of the lessons in this chapter will cover an important topic related to magnetism, current and the scientific laws governing their interactions. You will explore electromagnetic forces and the effects they have on charged particles as well as how they are measured.
Also covered are key formulas and calculations you will need to perform to explain how current and magnetism function. When you have finished all of these lessons, you will better understand:
- Ampere's law, including its applications and formulas
- The Bio-Savart Law
- Moving coil galvanometers
- Magnetic movement of a current through an electrical coil
- Torque and loop in magnetism
- The relationship between the Lorentz force law and magnetic fields
All of these lessons are presented in easy-to-follow video lessons, created by trained instructors. You can review specific points in any lesson using the video tag function of your personal Timeline. Once you have completed the lessons you will find interactive quizzes and printable worksheets to help you gauge your understanding of the topics.
1. The Biot-Savart Law: Definition & Examples
After watching this lesson you will be able to explain what the Biot-Savart Law is, and use the simplified version to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
2. Ampere's Law: Definition & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Ampere's Law is, and use Ampere's Law for a long, straight, current-carrying wire to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. The Lorentz Force Law
Electric and magnetic fields are both capable of creating forces on charged particles. In this lesson you'll learn how these two forces are related through the Lorentz force law.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Physics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Kinematics & Vectors
- Newtonian Laws of Motion
- Impulse & Momentum
- Work & Energy Theorems in Physics
- Rotation & Angular Momentum
- Gravitational Laws
- Solid & Fluid Mechanics
- Oscillators & Simple Harmonic Motion
- Wave Types & the Doppler Effect
- Heat & Thermodynamics
- Electrostatics & Charge
- Simple Electric Circuits
- Electronic Devices & Components
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Optics Overview
- Modern Physics Principles & Theories
- BITSAT Exam - Physics Flashcards