About This Chapter
Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors put forward topics related to the cycles of energy transfer and matter in ecosystems. You'll review food chains, cellular respiration and the phosphorus cycle, among other subjects. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss trophic levels, energy flow and food chains in an ecosystem
- Explain the transformation of energy in living organisms
- Outline the different types of cellular respiration
- Detail cellular respiration in plants
- Describe biogeochemical cycling and the phosphorus cycle
- Identify the carbon cycle and long-term carbon storage
- Explore acid rain, the nitrogen cycle and fossil fuels
Even the most challenging topics make sense when you have help from our professionally designed learning materials. Access our video lessons 24 hours a day on any mobile device or computer for completely flexible studying. Along with each lesson, we've included a short quiz to help assess your knowledge. If you have any questions along the way, reach out to an instructor for assistance through the Dashboard.
1. Food Chains, Trophic Levels and Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
In this lesson, you'll learn about food chains, food webs, and the different roles that organisms play in an ecosystem. You'll also learn about how energy flows through an ecosystem.
2. Energy and Life: The Transformation of Energy in Living Organisms
While the sun is an excellent source of energy, not all forms of life can utilize the sun's energy directly. This lesson describes how plants transform the sun's energy into potential energy stored in sugar, how living organisms utilize energy in sugar to perform work, and how the relationship between photosynthesis and cellular respiration is necessary for life.
3. Types of Cellular Respiration
In this lesson, you'll learn about the basics of cellular respiration. You'll learn about the similarities and differences between aerobic and anaerobic respiration, which are the two main types of cellular respiration. Then, you can test yourself with a quiz.
4. Cellular Respiration in Plants
In this lesson, we'll learn what cellular respiration is and the role it has in plants. We'll cover what is used and made in cellular respiration and why plants need it.
5. Biogeochemical Cycling and the Phosphorus Cycle
In this video lesson, we'll take a look at how elements large and small use other elements to grow. This is achieved through cycles. We'll look at macronutrients, trace elements and the biogeochemical and phosphorous cycles.
6. The Carbon Cycle and Long-Term Carbon Storage
All living organisms have a role in the carbon cycle. Do you know you understand how humans, animals and plants use carbon? This lesson will introduce you to the carbon cycle and explain how it functions on a global scale.
7. The Nitrogen Cycle, Acid Rain and Fossil Fuels
Do you know the difference between nitrite and nitrate? Do you have any clue how all the nitrogen in the atmosphere becomes usable? If you can't answer these questions, then you need to watch this lesson on the nitrogen cycle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Life Sciences (217): Practice & Study Guide course
- Principles of Cell Structure & Function
- The Organization & Function of Multicellular Organisms
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meoisis
- Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems
- Biodiversity & Sustainability
- DNA & Gene Expression
- Genetics & Inheritance
- Genetic Variation & Engineering
- Overview of Biological Evolution on Earth
- The Role of Natural Selection in Biological Evolution
- Adaptation in Biological Evolution
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Life Sciences Flashcards