About This Chapter
Data Analysis in Math - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review a series of engaging video lessons that cover basic topics related to the analysis of data. The chapter offers expert instruction on how to analyze data from various types of charts, graphs, tables and more. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand bar graphs, line graphs and pie charts
- Create/interpret scatterplots and histograms
- Figure out percent increase with cumulative and relative frequency tables
- Calculate standard deviation, mean, median, mode and range
- Recognize the characteristics of normal data distribution
After each lesson, you'll have a chance to reinforce what you've studied by taking a short quiz. Take the chapter exam to further solidify your math skills, and feel free to submit questions to our subject-matter experts if you have any. The chapter is also available at any time of day or night, which makes the studying process flexible and easy.
1. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
2. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
3. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
4. Creating & Interpreting Histograms: Process & Examples
Creating histograms can help you easily identify and interpret data. This lesson will give you several examples to better understand histograms and how to create them.
5. How to Calculate Percent Increase with Relative & Cumulative Frequency Tables
In statistics, one way to describe and analyze data is by using frequency tables. This lesson will discuss relative and cumulative frequencies and how to calculate percent increase using these two methods.
6. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
7. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
8. Normal Distribution of Data: Examples, Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, we'll explore the normal distribution of data. Learn about the characteristics of normal distribution, how to plot histograms, the empirical rule, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP College Mathematics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Foundations of Math Overview
- Basic Math Operations
- Basic Measurement in Math
- Linear Equations Overview
- Inequalities Overview
- Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Overview
- Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- Polynomial Properties
- Rational Expressions & Practice
- Basic Functions Overview
- Understanding Exponentials & Logarithms
- Basic Mathematical Logic
- Understanding Sets
- Foundations of Probability
- Overview of Financial Mathematics
- Geometry Foundations
- CLEP College Mathematics Flashcards
- Additional CLEP College Mathematics Flashcards