About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other information systems and computer applications work.
- Identify the data management concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our college information systems and computer applications tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn data management and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding database concepts, types of data, data warehousing or any other data management topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their business learning
- Prefer learning business topics visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their data management unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in information systems and computer applications
- Don't have access to their business teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning data management simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live information systems and computer applications tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn data management on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Understand why database management is important to organizations.
- Identify the elements that make up databases.
- Describe the function of a database management system.
- Become familiar with different types of database management systems.
- Learn the advantages of a relational database.
- Explore the different types of data found in databases.
- Understand how to use structured query language to manipulate a database.
- Explain how data warehousing and data mining provides the information needed to make better decisions.
- Learn how databases are kept secure.
- Discuss the advantages of cloud computing when it comes to database management.
1. What is Database Management? - How Databases Help Organizations
Organizations use large amounts of data. Database management makes it possible to organize and analyze these data. Learn why database management is important to support business operations.
2. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
3. What is a Database Management System? - Purpose and Function
In this lesson, we will describe the purpose and functions of a database management system, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of using a database management system in an organization.
4. Models of Database Management Systems (DBMS)
Get to know the different models of database management systems and learn how each one is used to systematically organize large amounts of data in a logical manner.
5. What is a Relational Database? - Elements, Design & Advantages
The relational database is the most widely used type of database management system. Learn how the relational database organizes data using tables, keys and associations.
6. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
7. Structured Query Language: Manipulating Databases Using SQL
Describe how to manipulate a database using the logic of Structured Query Language. Learn the basic syntax to write database queries in SQL using the SELECT statement.
8. Data Warehousing and Data Mining: Information for Business Intelligence
Collections of databases that work together are called data warehouses. This makes it possible to integrate data from multiple databases. Data mining is used to help individuals and organizations make better decisions.
9. Database Administration and Security: Definition and Purpose
A database administrator, or DBA, plays a critical role in managing the databases of an organization. Learn about the various roles of a DBA and the tools used to keep data safe and secure.
10. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
11. Access Control Matrix: Model & Example
An access control matrix is a single digital file assigning users and files different levels of security. We'll talk about access control models including: mandatory access, role-based access, discretionary access, and rule-based access.
12. What is Encryption? - Definition, Types & Methods
Encryption is the process of taking a readable plain text document or image and scrambling that document or image to an extent that it is no longer readable. The intent of encryption is hide and protect the contents of that file from improper disclosure.
13. What is File Compression? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson you will learn how file compression is used in different situations, some different types of compression models, and where each might be commonly seen.
14. What is Data Tampering? - Definition & Prevention
In this lesson, we'll learn about data tampering in computer security. We'll look at the implications of data tampering and examine the different methods applied in computer security to combat it.
15. What is a Spoofing Attack? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, we will examine the definition of a type of cyber-attack known as spoofing. We will examine the activities entailed in the different type of spoofing attacks
16. Data Threat Detection & Protection Techniques
In this lesson, we will examine the various layers used in detecting threats in a data system. We will discuss effective protection techniques employed to guard against these threats.
17. How to Prevent SQL Injection Attacks
In the lesson, we will look at SQL and explain SQL injection attacks. We will then examine the different methods and tools web application developers can use to prevent them.
18. SQL Injection Attack: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we'll take a look at Structured Query Language (SQL), explain an SQL injection attack and go over some types of SQL injection attacks. We will also give some examples of SQL injection attacks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Information Systems: Tutoring Solution course
- Information Systems in Organizations: Tutoring Solution
- Hardware and Systems Technology: Tutoring Solution
- Systems Software and Application Software: Tutoring Solution
- Internet, Intranet, and Extranet: Tutoring Solution
- Network Systems Technology: Tutoring Solution
- Enterprise Business Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Decision Support Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Systems Development: Tutoring Solution
- Business, Social, and Ethical Implications and Issues: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Programming: Tutoring Solution
- Data Visualization & Programming Languages
- Data Visualization & Binding
- Displaying Visualization Data