About This Chapter
Data, Storage & Algorithms - Chapter Summary
In this fun chapter, our instructors present algorithms, storage and data, including the types and sources of data and the unicode and ASCII used to represent characters in binary code. These lessons cover organizing data using data structures like arrays, lists and files, plus the methods used for object oriented programming. You'll also review how computer algorithms are designed and optimized. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Give examples of internal and external storage devices
- Explain the concept of cloud storage and how it is defined
- Define what an algorithm is in programming
- Test and analyze computer algorithms
Review these video and text lessons as many times as you need to master the subjects. After each lesson, you'll find a short multiple-choice quiz that helps you test your knowledge or see how ready you are for an exam. You can easily skip ahead in any video lesson to a specific topic by using the video tabs feature in the Timeline. Feel free to reach out to an instructor for help if you find any of the subjects confusing.
1. What are Data? - Types, Sources & Definition
In this lesson, learn what data are and compare different types. Understanding how to represent and organize data is a key element of using a computer.
2. ASCII and Unicode to Represent Characters in Binary Code
A computer can think at speeds of over a billion machine cycles per second. However, no spoken language is a computer's native tongue. Learn how a computer translates analog to digital signals in this lesson.
3. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
Let's explore the capacity of internal and external storage devices. We'll learn how optical, magnetic and semiconductor storage works, as well as identify some examples of storage devices.
4. What is Cloud Storage? - Definition & Concept
Cloud Storage is networked storage, or disk space, available over a specific network - the Internet. In this lesson, learn what Cloud storage allows you to do as well as how it is installed.
5. How to Organize Data Using Data Structures: Files, Arrays, Lists and Others
A data structure is a collection of data elements that are organized in some way. Learn about the different types of data structures in programming, such as files, lists, arrays, stacks, queues and trees.
6. Object-Oriented Programming: Objects, Classes & Methods
Object-oriented programming has become the most widely used approach to software development. Learn about the core concepts of object-oriented programming and how they are implemented using objects, classes and methods in this video lesson.
7. What is a Computer Algorithm? - Design, Examples & Optimization
Modern computers can carry out very complex tasks. Each task consists of well-defined procedures known as algorithms. Learn how computers use algorithms to perform the tasks we expect them to do.
8. What is an Algorithm in Programming? - Definition, Examples & Analysis
In this lesson, we look at what a programming algorithm is - and what it isn't. We also look at an example of a common algorithm shown as both a numbered list and a flowchart, after which we briefly analyze what it does.
9. Testing & Analyzing Computer Algorithms
In this lesson, we'll take a look at algorithms, what they are, what's involved in testing them, and how to analyze them. At the end, you should have a good understanding of this important concept.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Computer Science (050): Practice & Study Guide course
- History & Social Impacts of Computing
- Hardware & Systems Technology
- Computer Science Systems Software
- Computer Science Application Software
- Computer Science & The Internet
- Basics of Network Systems Technology
- Telecommunications & Information Access Resources
- Computer Science Technology in the Classroom
- Computer Science Multimedia Resources
- Basics of Computer Programming
- Programming Design, Verification & Language
- Instructional Resources for Computer Science Teachers
- MTTC Computer Science Flashcards