About This Chapter
Database Fundamentals - Chapter Summary
Review the fundamentals of computer databases with this collection of simple video and text-based lessons. The chapter offers expert instruction on concepts related to database management, warehousing, mining, query and administration. Try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of the terms and concepts you study. Lesson transcripts are available to print out, and you can access these resources on any device that has an Internet connection. Completing this chapter can help you:
- Compare types of big data
- Discuss basic big data concepts, elements and structures
- Explain the benefits of database management
- Identify technologies that can improve database management
- Understand data mining and data warehousing
- Recognize database query tools
- Describe the purpose of database administration and security
1. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
2. Basics of Big Data
You have probably heard the term 'big data' thrown around a lot lately, but what does it actually mean? Not only does this lesson explain big data, but it also provides an example of how it's used in your everyday life.
3. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
4. What is Database Management? - How Databases Help Organizations
Organizations use large amounts of data. Database management makes it possible to organize and analyze these data. Learn why database management is important to support business operations.
5. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
6. Data Warehousing and Data Mining: Information for Business Intelligence
Collections of databases that work together are called data warehouses. This makes it possible to integrate data from multiple databases. Data mining is used to help individuals and organizations make better decisions.
7. Database Query: Definition & Tools
This lesson will cover the concept of a database query. Database queries will be defined, and some basic examples will be explained. An example of query design using the Microsoft Access tool is described.
8. Database Administration and Security: Definition and Purpose
A database administrator, or DBA, plays a critical role in managing the databases of an organization. Learn about the various roles of a DBA and the tools used to keep data safe and secure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications course
- Basic Computer Concepts
- Computer Hardware Components & Functions
- Application & System Software
- Operating Systems for Computers
- Telecommunications Systems
- Understanding Computer Files
- Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- Web Browsers & Technology
- Using Microsoft Word
- Using Microsoft Excel
- Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Computer Programming Fundamentals
- Systems Development & Analysis
- Computer Threats & Security
- Technology's Ethical, Legal & Privacy Issues