About This Chapter
Database Management - Chapter Summary
Study this chapter to learn more about what database management is and how it works. These lessons provide you with information about the technological tools used by database managers. Our expert instructors help you understand:
- Ways databases help organizations
- Elements that make up databases
- The purpose and types of database management systems
- Cloud computing and database security
- Database software, such as Excel, Access, dBase and Lotus 1-2-3
Our video lessons include timelines that allow you to easily navigate to the topics you'd like to study. Additionally, the text lessons include important vocabulary words related to database management.
1. What is Database Management? - How Databases Help Organizations
Organizations use large amounts of data. Database management makes it possible to organize and analyze these data. Learn why database management is important to support business operations.
2. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
3. What is a Database Management System? - Purpose and Function
In this lesson, we will describe the purpose and functions of a database management system, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of using a database management system in an organization.
4. Models of Database Management Systems (DBMS)
Get to know the different models of database management systems and learn how each one is used to systematically organize large amounts of data in a logical manner.
5. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
6. Database Administration and Security: Definition and Purpose
A database administrator, or DBA, plays a critical role in managing the databases of an organization. Learn about the various roles of a DBA and the tools used to keep data safe and secure.
7. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
8. Common Uses for Excel Spreadsheets
Watch this video lesson to see the different ways an Excel spreadsheet can be used. See how it can be used to keep data in addition to how it is used to make calculations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Computer/Technology (Subtests I & II)(016/017): Practice & Study Guide course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Basics
- Systems Software & Management
- Computer Data & Storage
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Acceptable Use Policies & Legal Issues
- Digital Security & Safety Issues at School
- Communicating with Software & Media
- Using Collaborative Online Tools to Communicate
- Electronic Research Tools & Information Literacy
- Using Technology to Improve Teaching & Learning
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Computer/Technology Flashcards