About This Chapter
Dealing with Heartburn - Chapter Summary
Find out more about what causes heartburn and what you can do to prevent it by working through the lessons in this chapter. The lessons break heartburn topics up into short chunks of information, allowing you to move through the chapter quickly. The bright, lively writing and well-researched presentation provides you with maximum information, while using minimal time. This, coupled with a user-friendly online format that is available to you 24/7, enables you to schedule your study sessions at your convenience. Well-qualified instructors and subject matter experts are always available for heartburn questions or to provide additional assistance, and the dashboard helps you stay on track. These lessons cover the following:
- Causes of heartburn
- Difference between heartburn and indigestion
- Preventing and relieving heartburn
1. What Causes Heartburn?
This lesson will define heartburn and explain the various causes that may predispose a person to having heartburn. We will also consider the physiological reason that heartburn occurs.
2. Heartburn: Prevention & Relief
Heartburn is a pretty common problem. So, how do we treat it? It turns out there is more than one way, and this lesson explains how you can prevent heartburn and how the most common treatment options work.
3. Heartburn vs. Indigestion
You've likely heard about heartburn and indigestion. But do you know if they're one and the same or very different? It turns out they're sort of related but not entirely. Find out the real difference in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests