About This Chapter
Dealing With Negative Social Behavior
In this chapter, our instructors talk about the many different types of negative social behaviors and strategies for dealing with them effectively. You will examine deviant workplace behavior, ineffective group communication, crimes against persons, and more. This chapter also discusses social health and the health promotion model. It reviews the three different disease prevention models and how they can be used to help people stay healthy.
You'll also learn about the new and constantly changing environment of social media platforms. The chapter introduces you to some of the expected and unexpected issues social media raises. Finally, you'll learn about the societal and social factors that contribute to violence in American society. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define social health and explain the benefits of relationships with other people
- Evaluate some theoretical approaches used in counseling
- Describe deviant behavior in the workplace and how it influences the organization as a whole
- Determine how ineffective workplace communication is a problem and assess the five factors that influence how groups work together
- Elaborate on the strategies that should be used to deliver negative messages effectively
- Look at types of crimes against people
- Define the health promotion model and its role in promoting health behavior
- Explain three disease prevention strategies that can be used to stay healthy
- Describe social media and some of its intended and unintended effects
- Examine personal and societal influences on violent behavior
To teach these principles, we utilize short, enjoyable video lessons. These lessons are taught by experts in their respective fields. Along with them come self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts to enhance your learning experience. You'll find key terms highlighted in bold in the transcripts and a jump feature in the timeline that will lead you back to exactly the portion of a video you wish to review.
1. What Is Social Health? - Definition & Examples
At first glance, social health may be challenging to identify and address, but there are many benefits that come from strengthening your relationships with others. Let's learn more about how to develop and maintain relationships and how social health can be just as important as physical health.
2. The Process of Family Counseling
Counseling a family requires understanding of both individual and family patterns. This lesson explains several theoretical approaches that guide counselors in assessing family problems and treating them.
3. Deviant Workplace Behavior: Negative Effects on an Organization
Deviant workplace behavior can be a serious issue for any company. It has a wide range of impacts on the organization and needs to be understood and dealt with as it arises.
4. Ineffective Group Communication in Groups
Ineffective group communication can dramatically impact the productivity and workplace success of a company. There are five factors that need to be addressed in order for groups to work together effectively.
5. Strategies for Delivering Negative Messages
It is always difficult to deliver negative messages in the workplace. There are specific strategies that can help determine the most polite, professional and appropriate manner to deliver bad news in business.
6. Crimes Against Persons: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about crimes against people. We will look at what these crimes are and what they mean and take a closer look at some specific examples.
7. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
8. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
9. Social Media and Online Communities: Popularity, Use & Purpose
In this lesson, we explore the new and ever-changing environment of social media platforms, as well as detailing some of its uses and some of its purported dangers.
10. Violence in America: Societal & Personal Factors
More than just economic factors play a role in the potential for someone to commit a violent crime. Some other types of factors that may contribute to someone committing a violent crime are discussed here as well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards