About This Chapter
Dealing with Stress - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors cover the wide array of health risks associated with chronic stress in this chapter, such as kidney disease and cancer. Techniques for coping with stress and reducing exposure are highlighted in another lesson. More topics concerned with stress in this chapter include:
- The various sources of stress
- Differences between distress and eustress
- Types of psychophysiological disorders and treatments
- Acute stress disorder causes and treatments
Refresh your memory on these topics with the short, engaging video lessons across the chapter. The well-organized lesson transcripts feature subheadings and key terms that are displayed in bold print. Confirm your knowledge on any of the lessons with a quick self-assessment quiz.
1. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
2. Where Does Stress Come From?
Explore the wonderful world of all the things that cause us stress. From school and work to internal and interpersonal stressors, we'll define what stressors are and the many places they arise from in this lesson.
3. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
4. Health Risks Associated with Chronic Stress
Chronic stress has been linked to a ton of problems for the body both psychologically and physiologically. We'll take a trip in this lesson to examine what these problems are - a trip you may never forget.
5. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
6. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone has to deal with stress, but some people do not manage their stress in a healthy way. In this lesson, we will look more closely at psychological disorders related to stress, including ways that people react to and manage stress.
7. Acute Stress Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
When people experience a traumatic event, it can lead to all sorts of psychological problems. In this lesson, we'll look at one reaction to trauma: acute stress disorder. We'll examine the diagnostic criteria, risk factors, and treatments, and then test our knowledge with a quiz.
8. Psychophysiological Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes and Treatment
Psychological issues can affect a person's physical body. In this lesson, we'll look closer at psychophysiological disorders, including the different types, diseases affected by mental illness, and treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Psychology/Sociology (CEOE) (032): Practice & Study Guide course
- History of Psychology
- Psychology Research Methods
- Ethical Considerations in Psychology Research
- Setting Up Research Studies in Psychology
- Biology & Behavior in Psychology
- Senses & Perception
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness
- Cognition in Psychology
- Learning & Psychology
- Stages of Development in Psychology
- Motivation & Emotion in Psychology
- Psychological Testing and Assessment
- Personality Components & Assessment
- Psychological Health & Disorders
- Methods of Psychological Treatment
- Social Psychology Concepts
- Introduction to Sociology
- Influential Sociological Theorists
- Research Methods in Sociology
- Culture, Socialization & Social Interaction
- Personality Psychology and the Self
- Values, Beliefs and Attitudes
- Social Groups & Interactions
- Studying Social Institutions
- Stratification and Aging in Society
- Prejudice and Discrimination in Society
- Deviance and Social Control
- Overpopulation and Population Trends
- Social Movements
- Urbanization, Industrialization, Modernization and Globalization
- OSAT Psychology/Sociology (CEOE) (032) Flashcards