About This Chapter
Decimals Lesson Plans & Activities - Chapter Summary
As a teacher with a busy schedule, it can be hard to make time to research the tools and resources you need to develop quality decimal lessons. Fortunately, this chapter provides a variety of teacher resources in one location! Decimal lesson plans provide detailed class instructions, discussion questions and other tools that enable you to easily incorporate ideas into your lessons. Numerous math topics are covered in this chapter. Some include:
- How to convert fractions to decimals
- Decimal place value and rounding decimals
- Adding and subtracting decimals
- Multiplying and dividing decimals
The lesson plans list specific curriculum standards and how they will align with the topics you cover. Each lesson plan is also accompanied by at least one video or text lesson you can share with your students during class.
How It Helps
- Lesson instructions: Offers simple instructions for incorporating the teacher resources in this chapter into the lessons you develop
- Class activities: Shares activity ideas with thorough instructions for getting students involved in class
- Related lessons: Provides a list of lessons related to the lesson plans that can be shared with your students
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning decimal lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for place value, adding and subtracting decimals and other topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your math class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related decimal lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important math concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant decimal-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Converting Fractions to Decimals Lesson Plan
Is 3/4 the same as .75? A video lesson provides guided instruction while an activity give students a chance to show what they have learned. If further instruction is needed, utilize our suggestions for related activities and lessons.
2. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
3. Rounding Decimals Lesson Plan
Make sure your students know the ins and outs of rounding. A video lesson delivers important facts about rounding while an in-class activity allows students to show what they know. Keep the conversation going with related lessons and extension activities.
4. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
5. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
6. Adding & Subtracting Decimals Lesson Plan
Do decimals confuse your students? A video lesson gives students an opportunity for practice and an in-class activity drives home the concepts. Opportunities for ongoing instruction are also provided with extensions and related lessons.
7. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
8. Multiplying Decimals Lesson Plan
Help students work through the steps of multiplying numbers with decimals using this lesson plan. A video walks your students through a memorable three-step process, allowing them time to practice with guidance; students then incorporate writing.
9. Multiplying Decimals: Rules, Steps & Examples
Do you know how to multiply numbers with more than one digit but when it's a decimal you forget what to do with the decimal point? This lesson teaches you the steps for multiplying decimals. Then see those steps in action through the use of examples.
10. Dividing Decimals Lesson Plan & Activity
Can your students accurately divide decimals? A video lesson takes them through the process with stops along the way for practice and an activity solidifies understanding. For further instruction, consider our suggestions for related lessons and extensions.
11. Dividing Decimals: Steps, Rules & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some division terminology. Then, you'll learn the steps for decimal division and see them carried out in a few examples. Afterward, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
12. Percents Lesson Plan
This lesson uses hands-on activities to teach students about the relationships between percentages, decimals, and fractions as well as how to determine the sale price of an item. The lesson concludes with individual practice problems and a quiz.
13. Percentages: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever been to the store and saw a sign that said something similar to 50% off? 50% is a percentage! Do you know what that means? We will learn all about percentages in this lesson.
14. Comparing Decimals Lesson Plan
What are the essential steps to consider when comparing decimals? This lesson plan explains key facts about decimals with a video lesson. A fun game gives students practice in comparing decimals.
15. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
16. Estimating Decimals Lesson Plan
This lesson plan provides a fun way for students to learn how to estimate the sum and difference. Students will watch a video, collaborate on problems, and play a gallery walk math game. A lesson quiz is also available to check for understanding.
17. Estimating the Sum & Difference Between Two Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how to take an addition or subtraction problem with decimals and estimate the answer by rounding. You will learn that a rounded answer is very close to the actual answer.
18. Decimal Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan will help you teach your students how to show numbers less than one using decimals. A text lesson guides students through key concepts using hands-on experiences before practicing new skills with a game.
19. Multiplying Decimals Activities
Decimals have the power to strike fear into the hearts of even the sturdiest students. This lesson offers fun, interactive games and activities to give your students practice at the key elements of multiplying with decimals.
20. Subtracting Decimals Activities & Games
Subtracting decimals is an important life skill for students to learn. Use these activities to help your students understand the process of subtracting decimals.
21. Place Value Lesson Plan
Is it ten cents or ten dollars? Clarify the concept of place value with your students through an engaging video lesson paired with a simple in-class activity. If extra time is required, utilize our suggestions for additional activities and related lessons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Elementary Math: Lesson Plans & Resources course