About This Chapter
Decimals, Percents & Operations - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have developed entertaining lessons you can access anytime to improve your understanding of decimals, percents and operations. Feel confident in your ability to solve problems using percents, make arithmetic calculations with signed numbers and more. When finished with this chapter, you will be able to:
- Use decimal numbers to solve problems
- Define and share examples of percents
- Change between percents and decimals
- Switch between decimals and fractions
- Share examples of ratios and proportions
The lessons in this chapter are available in two formats: videos and text transcripts. Feel free to use one or both formats as you improve your understanding of decimals, percents and operations. Multiple-choice quizzes are available with the lessons to test your understanding of the concepts they cover. To gauge your overall comprehension of this subject, be sure to take our practice chapter exam.
1. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
2. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
3. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
5. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
6. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
7. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- Finding the Main Idea of Reading Passages
- Understanding Reading Selections
- Evaluating Written Arguments
- Point of View, Tone & Meaning
- Figurative Language & Expressions
- Audience & Argument in Written Communication
- Organizing an Essay
- Essay Revision Strategies
- Parts of Speech & Writing Conventions
- Grammar & Sentence Structure
- Working with Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Measurement Concepts & Application
- Basic Geometry Overview
- Properties & Applications of Triangles in Geometry
- Measuring Closed Figures & 3D Shapes
- Probability, Statistics & Evaluating Data
- Sequences & Algebraic Expressions
- Linear Equation Basics
- Properties of Equality
- Logical Problem Solving in Mathematics
- WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics Flashcards