About This Chapter
Decimals, Percents & Ratios - Chapter Summary
In this chapter's lessons, our instructors explain how to solve problems with decimal numbers and percents, and refresh your knowledge of how to change between percents, decimals and fractions. You'll review how to solve interest problems and word problems with percents. Other lessons look at ratios and proportions, including how to perform calculations with them. After you've watched these videos, you should be ready to:
- Solve problems with decimal numbers
- Perform conversions involving percents, fractions and decimals
- Understand word problems with percents
- Explain the steps in solving interest problems
- Define proportion and how it is used
- Execute calculations with proportions and ratios
These lessons are brief and contain plenty of examples to explain their points. You can study on a computer or mobile device as your schedule permits. The quizzes at the end of each lesson allow you to gauge your knowledge and determine what calls for extra study.
1. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
2. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
3. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
4. Converting Fractions to Percents
There are times when it is important to know how to convert a fraction to a percent. Fortunately, the steps to perform this conversion are not difficult. This lesson will show you those steps and give some examples.
5. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
6. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
7. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
8. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
9. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
10. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OGET Oklahoma General Education Test (CEOE) (174): Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Structure & Organization
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Passages
- Evaluating Arguments & Reasoning
- Audience & Purpose in Writing
- Parts of Speech in English Grammar
- Sentence Elements & Structure
- Standard Conventions of Essay Writing
- Interpreting & Analyzing Mathematical Data
- Logic & Problem Solving in Math
- Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Algebraic Functions
- Geometric Shapes & Properties
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Developing & Writing an Essay
- Writing Skills Development
- OGET Oklahoma General Education Test (CEOE) (074) Flashcards