About This Chapter
Decision Making and Problem Solving in Families - Chapter Summary
How are life decisions made? What are the types of conflicts you might encounter in a relationship? Which techniques are most effective when making decisions? These are among the main topics you will find addressed in this chapter.
In addition, you will learn what impacts a family's decision-making and problem-solving processes. When you are finished with your review of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain different ways to make decisions
- List the steps involved in decision-making and four techniques used to make decisions
- Identify factors that affect major life decisions
- Describe what impacts family conflict and decision-making
- Understand types of conflicts in relationships
- Discuss conflict resolution strategies
Each lesson provides expert instruction and 24/7 accessibility from any device. Self-assessment quizzes measure what you have learned and identify the topics you might need to further review. Use your Dashboard to track your progress and reach out to lesson instructors with any questions using a contact form.
1. Decision Making: Definition & Types
How do you make decisions? When we talk about deciding between choices we can break the processes into types. This lesson will fill you in on the different ways to make decisions and give you a few examples of each.
2. Decision Making: Skills & Techniques
We make decisions all the time, but how do we make them? How useful are our decision-making techniques? In this lesson, you'll learn about the skills used in decision making, the six steps involved, and finally, four different techniques you can use when faced with a decision.
3. Factors Affecting How Couples Make Life Decisions
Couples need to answer a lot of hard questions before making major life decisions. This lesson will look into some of these factors, specifically regarding decisions like buying a home together and having kids.
4. Factors Impacting Family Conflict & Decision Making
Conflict is a normal part of most families' lives together, and it can play a role in how and when different kinds of decisions get made. This lesson discusses what conflict and decision making have to do with each other in the context of family life.
5. Conflict in Relationships: Types & Resolution Strategies
Dealing with conflict in relationships is inevitable. This lesson will review the types and causes of conflicts that frequently occur in relationships, and compare effective versus non-effective conflict resolution strategies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards