About This Chapter
Decision Making & Problem Solving in Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help your company's front-line managers quickly learn essential problem-solving and decision-making skills. You can use these short lessons and quizzes to educate your managers on a variety of concepts, including:
- Problem identification in the workplace
- Root cause analysis
- Problem-solving strategies and methods
The chapter is available to access at any time, and your managers can review the material on any computer or mobile device. To help them further their understanding of these concepts, we've included lesson quizzes and a chapter exam.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps managers quickly develop a deeper awareness of problem solving and decision making in the workplace.
- Helps managers identify problems: Managers can apply simple techniques to better identify the sources of problems in your organization.
- Improves managerial skills: Supervisors who complete the chapter will take away effective problem-solving and decision-making strategies.
By the end of the chapter, front-line managers should be able to:
- Differentiate between problem solving and decision making in management
- Utilize strategies for defining problems in an organization
- Identify the root causes of problems in the workplace
- Assess examples, tools and methods of root cause analysis
- Compare types of problem-solving methods that are used in management and supervision
1. What is Root Cause Analysis? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will explain root cause analysis and discuss its relevance to project management. We will review the importance of understanding the problem, data collection, asking why questions, solutions, and implementing changes.
2. Root Cause Analysis: Tools & Methods
Root cause analysis provides a way to determine the cause of problems within a project. In this lesson, we'll learn what root cause analysis is and review the more common tools and methods.
3. Types of Problem Solving Methods in Management and Supervision
A big part of management and supervision is solving problems. In this lesson, we'll take a look at a few problem-solving methods that can be used to solve typical problems facing managers and supervisors. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Decision Making for Front-Line Managers course