About This Chapter
Decision Making & Problem Solving Strategies - Chapter Summary
To remember the steps and strategies of the decision-making and problem-solving process, give this chapter a thorough examination. Each lesson discusses a different strategy, process, or tool. Major topics covered in this chapter are as follows:
- The decision-making process in seven steps
- Management considerations: uncertainties, risks, and certainties
- Management-level problem-solving methodologies
- Useful tools for quantitative decision-making
- Completing projects and running PERT analyses
It may have been some time since you have formally gone over the decision-making and problem-solving process, and you may not remember many of the key points. That's why you need this guide. We dust the cobwebs out of your mind and help you recall all the important facts and strategies that you will need to remember.
Our study guide makes the process of jogging your memory an entertaining exercise. We don't give you dull, endless lists of definitions and factoids. We give you a fully engaging interface that puts you in the driver seat. You choose which lessons you want to review, and you decide whether you want to watch the entire video lesson or just skim through the transcripts for the vocab words.
Lastly, we let you study when and where it's convenient. You can look at our materials with any of your connected devices, even your phone. All you need is an Internet connection and some time to review the materials. By the way, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to get through a lesson, which is less time than it takes to get through the line at the coffee shop.
1. The Seven Steps of Decision Making
Effective decision-making is an essential skill for every manager. In this lesson, you'll learn about a seven-step process for effective decision-making. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
2. Decision Making for Managers: Certainty, Risk & Uncertainty
Making decisions with the most amount of certainty is something managers learn to do over time. In this lesson, we will review how managers work with certainty and risk in order to make informed decisions.
3. Types of Problem Solving Methods in Management and Supervision
A big part of management and supervision is solving problems. In this lesson, we'll take a look at a few problem-solving methods that can be used to solve typical problems facing managers and supervisors. A short quiz follows.
4. Quantitative Decision Making Tools: Decision Trees, Payback Analysis & Simulations
Successful managers use decision-making tools to analyze a problem and try to determine the best solution for that problem. Here, we will discuss three main decision-making tools and help you to understand their function and implementation.
5. PERT Analysis & Project Completion
Time-based decision methods are used a great deal when a manager or company looks at a time-based project. To ensure the project can be done on time, managers use PERT analysis, a tool for estimating the time it will take to complete a project. This lesson will outline PERT and help you to understand how it is used to predict time based projects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Communications: Help & Review course
- Business Communication Framework
- Spoken & Written Messages
- Preparing Written Messages
- Communicating Electronically
- Delivering Good & Neutral Tone Messages
- Delivering Bad News Messages
- Delivering Persuasive Messages
- Reporting Process & Research Methods of Business Communication
- Managing Data & Using Graphs in Business Communications
- Organizing & Preparing Reports & Proposals
- Designing & Delivering Business Presentations
- Preparing Job Applications
- Management Theory
- Organization in Business Management
- Motivation & Management Theories in Business
- Principles of Change Management
- Control as a Function of Management
- Basic Financial Statements
- Inventory Cost & Valuation
- Fundamentals of Microeconomics
- Online Privacy & Security
- Understanding Enterprise Business Systems