About This Chapter
Decision Making & Specialized Information Systems - Chapter Summary
The video and text lessons contained in this chapter cover specialized and decision making information systems and their applications. You can review knowledge management and artificial intelligence applications as well as general decision making processes in organizations. Lessons are accessible from any computer or mobile device 24/7, and transcripts and text lessons are even printable if you wish to create quick reference tools. Expert instructors can be reached with questions via an easy online contact form. When you are finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the organizational decision making process
- Relate how management information systems and tools are used
- Analyze data using decision support systems
- Make decisions using group support systems
- Discuss the use of executive information systems
- Identify and explain different types of specialized information systems
- Describe the use of knowledge management for different types of information
- Discuss the use of artificial intelligence and expert systems
- Understand the use of geographic information systems in making decisions
- Note the history and business applications of virtual reality
1. Decision Making in Organizations
Information systems support decision making in organizations. Understanding the nature of decision making can help in using information systems more effectively.
2. Management Information Systems (MIS): Manager Decision-Making Tools
Management information systems help managers make effective decisions to support ongoing operations within an organization. Learn about the types of reports produced by an MIS.
3. Applications of Management Information Systems (MIS): Financial, Marketing, Manufacturing & Human Resources
Management Information Systems are typically organized around the functional areas of an organization. Learn about some of the most common applications of Management Information Systems.
4. Decision Support Systems: How Managers Analyze Internal and External Data with DSS
A Decision Support System is a specialized information system used when a problem is unstructured or when circumstances are uncertain. Learn about the data and models used in a DSS.
5. Group Decision Support Systems (GDSS): Improving the Group-Decision-Making Environment
A Group Decision Support System, or GDSS, consists of interactive software that allows for making decisions by a group of participants. Learn about some of the tools used in a GDSS.
6. Executive Information Systems (EIS): Upper Management Decision-Making Tools
An Executive Information System is a specialized information system used to support senior-level decision making. Learn how senior management uses an executive dash board to keep a close eye on how well their organization is doing.
7. What Are Specialized Information Systems? - Decision Support Systems for Business
Specialized information systems have been developed to support decision making in an increasingly complex world. Learn about some of the different types of specialized information systems.
8. Knowledge Management: Capture, Store & Share Information with KM
Knowledge management makes it possible to capture, store, share and utilize the knowledge and experience of an organization. Learn about the different types of knowledge and how knowledge management is implemented in this video lesson.
9. Using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Expert Systems to Solve Complex Problems
Artificial intelligence is used to develop computer systems that demonstrate characteristics of intelligent behavior. Expert systems make it possible for a novice to perform at the level of an expert in very specific situations. Learn more about both of these systems in this lesson.
10. Geographic Information System (GIS): Using Maps & Locations to Make Decisions
A Geographic Information System uses smart maps to describe geographical relationships. Learn how organizations use spatial analysis to improve decision making.
11. Virtual Reality: History & Business Applications
In this lesson, we'll take a look at virtual reality, what it is, its history, and some business applications. At the end, you should have a good understanding of this cutting-edge technology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Information Systems: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Business Information Systems
- Computer-Based Information System Components
- Information Systems Application & Impact
- Information Systems Hardware
- Information Systems Software Programs
- Information Systems Software Applications
- Data Management in Information Systems
- Networking & Systems Technology
- Internet, Intranet, & Extranet
- Virtualization for Business
- Electronic & Mobile Commerce
- Enterprise Systems for Business
- Systems Development Components & Lifecycle
- Personal & Social Impact of Computers
- UExcel Business Information Systems Flashcards