About This Chapter
Decolonization, Revolution & Nationalism After WWII - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides you with information about how decolonization, revolution and nationalism affected countries and peoples around the world. Access these lessons to study some of the ways the world changed after WWII. Our lessons will help you learn about:
- Independence movements after WWII
- The Cuban Revolution and communism
- Changes in Indonesia, Vietnam, India, Pakistan, Egypt and Algeria
- Nationalism in Israel and the Arab-Israeli War of 1948
- Decolonization and life in Africa after WWII
These video lessons are short and focused on specific topics in order to improve your absorption of these historical facts. You can check your understanding of the post-WWII world by completing the interactive quizzes within this chapter. If you find that you need to review a certain subject, the quizzes link back to the video lessons.
1. Post-WWII Independence Movements Around the World: History & Examples
In this lesson, we explore the diverse and varied experience of decolonization in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa after World War II when Western Europe began to withdraw its claims to far away territory and colonies.
2. Communism and the Cuban Revolution: Castro, the Bay of Pigs & the Cuban Missile Crisis
In this lesson, we will examine the relationship between communism and the country of Cuba. We will focus specifically on the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro's rise to power, the Bay of Pigs Invasion, and the Cuban Missile Crisis.
3. Decolonization and Nationalism in Indonesia, Vietnam, India & Pakistan
In this lesson, we explore the nature of nationalism in the colonial world and its various manifestations in South and Southeast Asia during the second half of the 20th century.
4. Decolonization and Nationalism in Israel, Egypt, Africa & Algeria
In this lesson, we explore the concepts of nationalism and national self-determination and how they affected the decolonization of the Middle East and Africa in the second half of the 20th century.
5. Israeli Statehood and the Arab-Israeli War of 1948
For centuries, the population of the land known today as Israel barely changed. But in the late 1800s, waves of immigrants poured in, fighting for the right to control the territory. The modern state of Israel was created in 1948.
6. Changes in Africa After World War II
In this lesson, we will examine changes in Africa following World War II. We will discover what factors led to decolonization in the wake of World War II, and we will highlight the central themes surrounding African independence movements.
7. Life in Africa after Independence
In this lesson, we will learn about African independence in the aftermath of World War II. We'll explore key figures, examine the factors that resulted in African independence, and highlight major events and developments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT World History/Geography (CEOE) (018): Practice & Study Guide course
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Early Civilizations of the Ancient Near East
- Early Indian Civilizations & Empires
- Early Civilizations in Asia
- Early Civilizations in the Americas
- Early African Civilizations
- The Birth of the Muslim World
- Classical Greek Culture & Philosophy
- The Roman Republic Rises
- Fall of the Roman Empire Through the Middle Ages
- Renaissance Europe
- European Religion & Politics During the Reformation
- The Scientific Revolution
- International Exploration & European Expansion
- Enlightenment & the Revolution in Europe
- Revolution in the Americas
- The Industrial Revolution & the Rise of Capitalism
- 19th Century Political & Societal Developments
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Battles & Consequences of World War I
- World War II
- Restructuring the World After World War II
- Important World Leaders of the 20th Century
- Cultural & Political Developments After WWII
- Principles of Geographic Data & Research
- Geography Tools
- Location & Migration as Geographic Themes
- Cycles and Spheres of Earth
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Weather and Storms
- Overview of Human Geography
- Earth's Energy Resources
- Ecological Problems in the US
- History, People & Geography of the American Midwest
- Oklahoma's Culture, History & Geography
- OSAT World History/Geography (CEOE) (018) Flashcards