About This Chapter
Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Feel confident that you have a good understanding of the theory and treatment of deep vein thrombosis by utilizing the resources in this chapter. Review short lessons that examine the causes, signs, symptoms and diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis. Also, get a better understanding of superficial vs. deep, acute vs. chronic and other characteristics and aspects of this blood clotting condition. At any time, feel free to assess your comprehension of the lessons by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam. Once finished with this chapter, you will understand the following:
- Deep vein thrombosis causes, signs, risks, prevention, treatment, recovery and more
- Differences between superficial and deep vein thrombosis
- How to determine when deep vein thrombosis is acute or chronic
- Ways to treat deep vein thrombosis
- How to manage deep vein thrombosis post-surgery
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Definition & Causes||Define deep vein thrombosis, and identify its causes.|
|Vein Thrombosis: Superficial vs Deep||Differentiate between superficial and deep vein thrombosis.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Signs & Symptoms||Learn about the signs and symptoms of this blood clotting condition.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Prevention & Risk Factors||Examine risk factors and ways to prevent deep vein thrombosis.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Tests & Diagnosis||Review various tests used and steps involved in diagnosing deep vein thrombosis.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Prognosis, Management & Cure||Study the prognosis, management and possibilities of curing this condition.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Acute vs. Chronic||Discover the differences between acute and chronic deep vein thrombosis.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Treatment & Recovery||Explore ways to treat this condition and steps that can be taken toward recovery.|
|Deep Vein Thrombosis: Medication, Recovery & Complications||Understand the medication used, recovery and complications of deep vein thrombosis.|
|Treating Deep Vein Thrombosis with Aspirin||Read about the possibility of treating this condition with aspirin.|
|Post-Surgery Deep Vein Thrombosis||Take a look at steps that are taken following surgery.|
1. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Definition & Causes
In this lesson, you will learn what deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is. This includes learning about how a blood clot develops. You will also discover what types of health conditions cause DVT to form.
2. Vein Thrombosis: Superficial vs Deep
Have you ever felt pain or tenderness over a vein in your arm or leg? Did you know this may be associated with everything from minor trauma to a deadly lung condition to cancer? Don't delay; read this lesson today!
3. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Signs & Symptoms
In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of what deep vein thrombosis is. Then we'll look into what causes the common signs and symptoms patients experience during both deep vein thrombosis, and a closely related condition called a pulmonary embolism.
4. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Prevention & Risk Factors
In this lesson, we'll be learning more about deep vein thrombosis. We'll review what deep vein thrombosis is and how it affects the body. Then we'll look at risk factors for the disorder and prevention strategies.
5. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Tests & Diagnosis
In this lesson we'll review what deep vein thrombosis is and how it affects the body. Then, we'll explain the five main types of tests, D-dimer tests, ultrasound, venography, CT and MRI scans and how they are used to diagnose deep vein thrombosis.
6. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Prognosis & Management
Learn about the prognosis, medical management, and follow-up for deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Learn also about pulmonary embolism (PE) and post-phlebitic syndrome. It's not all bad news!
7. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Acute vs. Chronic
We are going to gain a basic understanding of deep vein thrombosis and the two main classifications of DVT. We will explore the similarities and differences between acute and chronic DVT.
8. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Treatment & Recovery
In this lesson, we'll first go over what happens during deep vein thrombosis. Then we'll go over different types of treatment for this condition. Lastly, we'll see what recovery looks like for patients and how they return to daily activities.
9. Deep Vein Thrombosis: Medication, Recovery & Complications
Learn which medications are used to treat deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and what complications may occur during recovery. Also, learn about measures used to prevent recurrence and potentially deadly complications of DVT.
10. Treating Deep Vein Thrombosis with Aspirin
Is taking aspirin a good idea for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis? This lesson explains if that's the case as you learn a bit about deep vein thrombosis and aspirin as well.
11. Post-Surgery Deep Vein Thrombosis
Learn what a deep vein thrombosis is and how to reduce the risk for developing one post-surgery. Knowing what to do before and after an operation can save a life during the weeks and months following surgery.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Understanding Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Poison & Chemical Exposure
- Bacterial & Viral Tropical Diseases
- Fungal Tropical Infections
- Helminth Infections
- Protozoan Infections