About This Chapter
Defining a Problem - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've included a series of mobile-friendly lessons you can use to teach supervisors how to define a problem. At their convenience, your supervisors can study root cause analysis, differentiating between the causes and symptoms of problems and the 5 whys analysis. All of these lessons feature clear definitions and real-world examples to make these concepts easy to understand and follow. Assign the short quiz with each lesson to ensure the key concepts presented here are clearly understood.
How It Helps
- Offers solutions: Provides a variety of tools for problem solving and analysis, giving your supervisors multiple options to utilize in different situations.
- Boosts confidence: When your supervisory teams understand how to solve problems successfully, they'll feel more confident and better able to do their jobs.
- Helps new hires: This chapter can be offered to new supervisors or those in need of training.
This engaging chapter will help supervisors understand how to:
- Tell the difference between the causes and symptoms of problems
- Define root cause analysis and provide examples
- Outline the tools and methods used in root cause analysis
- Understand the template used in the 5 whys analysis
- Provide an example of problem solving with reframing
1. Differentiating Causes & Symptoms of Problems
Are you a front-line manager? Use this lesson to explore effective ways of solving problems and making decisions, and to differentiate between symptoms and causes of problems.
2. What is Root Cause Analysis? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will explain root cause analysis and discuss its relevance to project management. We will review the importance of understanding the problem, data collection, asking why questions, solutions, and implementing changes.
3. Root Cause Analysis: Tools & Methods
Root cause analysis provides a way to determine the cause of problems within a project. In this lesson, we'll learn what root cause analysis is and review the more common tools and methods.
4. Practical Application: Root Cause Analysis Template
If you've ever struggled to get to the bottom of a problem at work, this template can help. The template will assist you in conducting a root cause analysis to get to the true cause of problems you might encounter in the workplace.
5. 5 Whys Analysis: Template & Overview
The 5 Whys system is a common technique used for root cause analysis. This lesson will provide an overview of the 5 Whys analysis and include a template so you can conduct your own analysis.
6. Problem Solving with Reframing: Definition & Examples
Every day we are faced with problems that we need to solve in our personal and professional lives. This lesson will discuss problem solving using reframing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Effective Problem Solving for Supervisors course