About This Chapter
Definite Integrals - Chapter Summary
This easy-to-follow chapter explores the definition of definite integrals. Our lessons introduce you to the process of using division of factorials in problem-solving. You'll also learn about the Beta function, and go over examples. Once you complete these lessons, you'll be ready to:
- Use Riemann's sums for functions
- Calculate average values by using integrals
- Explain what a Gamma function is
Don't be intimidated by tough subjects when you can review our short video and text lessons with ease. These professionally designed learning materials help break down even the most challenging topics. Take the self-assessment quizzes to see how well you understand the chapter before moving on to others.
1. Definite Integrals: Definition
Explore how driving backwards takes you where you've already been as we define definite integrals. This lesson will also teach you the relationship between definite integrals and Riemann sums. Then, discover how an integral changes when it is above and below the x-axis.
2. How to Use Riemann Sums for Functions and Graphs
Find out how Riemann sums can be used to calculate multiple areas efficiently. In this lesson, you'll learn how this can come in handy for irregular areas and how you can put it to use.
3. Average Value Theorem
If you know you've gone 120 miles in 2 hours, you're averaging 60 mph. But what if you know your velocity at every point in time and not how far you've gone? In this lesson, learn how to calculate average values using integrals.
4. Division of Factorials: Definition & Concept
After completing this lesson, you will know how to use the factorial function and factorial notation. You will also be able to use factorials in problem solving, which often requires the division of factorials.
5. Gamma Function: Properties & Examples
Explore the properties of the gamma function including its ability to be represented in integral and factorial forms. Then dive deeper into the gamma function's properties by looking at several examples of them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Expressions & Reasoning in Math
- Complex Numbers & Polynomials in Algebra
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions Overview
- Mathematical Sequences & Series Overview
- Series & Sequences Application
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Equations
- Binomial Theorem Overview
- Overview of Matrices & Determinants
- Sets & Relations in Math
- Introduction to Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities Overview
- Real World Trigonometric Applications
- Operating with Functions
- Solving Inequalities
- Two-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Straight Lines & Angles in Coordinate Geometry
- Circular Arc & Circles in Coordinate Geometry
- Conic Sections in Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Limits & Continuity in Differential Calculus
- Calculating Derivatives
- Differentiable Functions & Min-Max Problems
- Differentiability in Integral Calculus
- Overview of Probability in Calculus
- Vectors & Scalars in Math
- Dispersion & Frequency Distributions in Statistics
- Linear Programming & Systems of Equations
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Modeling Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Math Flashcards