About This Chapter
Delivering a Presentation - Chapter Summary
The engaging lessons in this chapter are designed to help your employees successfully present information in meetings and other company gatherings using a variety of techniques. Watching the videos or reading the text lessons can help them understand the following:
- The importance of practicing a presentation
- Effective techniques to use when practicing
- Online tools to use with presentations
- Common presentation mistakes to avoid
- Using vocal qualities, pronunciation, articulation and dialect in presentations
- Nonverbal communication in public speaking
The lessons are informative and visually entertaining, enhancing the effectiveness of your corporate training sessions. Each lesson features an assessment quiz you can use to gauge employees' comprehension of the concepts covered. If you have any questions about this chapter, instructors are available to assist.
How It Helps
- Strengthens leadership qualities: The lessons help employees become better at confidently communicating ideas to audiences and guiding discussions, which can strengthen their leadership qualities on the job.
- Increases employee engagement: Helping employees learn how to deliver quality presentations requires that they better understand the company and their role in helping it function, increasing their engagement in workplace operations.
- Enhances communication skills: This chapter helps employees enhance their verbal and nonverbal communication skills during presentations.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Understand the importance of practicing a presentation
- Explain why critical feedback is necessary when improving a speech
- Avoid common presentation mistakes
- Explain the tools and basics of creating and delivering effective online presentations
- Convey meaning in a speech by using various vocal qualities
- Consider articulation, dialect and pronunciation when making a speech
- Use effective nonverbal communication during a speech
1. Practicing a Presentation: Importance, Techniques & Feedback
This lesson will cover the importance and techniques of presentations. You will find out why critical feedback is also necessary to make improvements to the speech.
2. Avoiding Common Presentation Mistakes
In this lesson, some of the most common problems with making presentations will be discussed. The lesson will also address how to remedy these mistakes as well.
3. Tools for Delivering Online Presentations
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the tools you need for delivering online presentations. Your presentation is your chance to shine, and you'll need the right tools to make that happen.
4. Using Vocal Qualities to Convey Meaning in Public Speaking
To keep your audience engaged, it is important to consider vocal qualities like volume, pace and pitch. These qualities are what keep your speech not only interesting but also engaging. Learn about vocal qualities in this lesson.
5. Considering Pronunciation, Articulation, and Dialect in Public Speaking
The speaker's culture and habits often have much to do with the vocal traits of a speech. Thus, pronunciation, articulation and dialect are three very personal aspects of speech delivery.
6. The Role of Nonverbal Communication During Speech Delivery
When delivering a speech, your body movements tell almost as much about your message as your actual speech. Eye contact, body orientation, posture, facial expressions and gestures play into how your audience perceives your message.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace course