About This Chapter
Demographic Patterns - Chapter Summary
If you need to review the basics of demographic patterns, you're in the right place. Watch these informative and entertaining lessons to grasp basic concepts pertaining to human population growth, population density, world population patterns and population data sources. When you're done with the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Define carrying capacity and outline the historical growth of human populations
- Describe population density across the world
- Assess historical trends and patterns in world populations
- Make population projection calculations
- Describe the functions of the Population Reference Bureau and its population bulletin
- Identify sources of population data
The chapter includes interactive self-assessments to help you reinforce your demographic pattern knowledge. The chapter's video lessons comes with printable lesson transcripts that you can use to take notes or study offline. Your course dashboard will keep track of your progress, and you can also submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help.
1. The History of Human Population Growth and Carrying Capacity
Most of us are used to the current size of the human population but it was not always this large. In this lesson, we will explore the history of human population growth and the future of its growth.
2. Population Density Around the World
This lesson will explain the concept of population density. In doing this, it will discuss sparsely versus densely populated areas. It will also identify the primary and secondary population clusters of the world.
3. World Population Trends & Patterns Throughout History
The world's population is now growing at a faster rate than many people ever thought possible. But is such rapid growth anything new? Can anything slow it? This lesson looks at history for the answers.
4. Population Projections: Definition & Calculations
In this lesson, you will discover how to see the future through population statistics. Explore population projections, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. The Population Reference Bureau & the Population Bulletin
For chart-enthusiasts and professional researchers alike, the Population Reference Bureau is a terrific way to spend an afternoon. Explore this organization and test your understanding about their purpose, mission, and goals with a brief quiz.
6. Population Data Sources: Census, Vital Statistics & Surveys
In this lesson, you will explore various methods of collecting population data, and discover how each one is used. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Citizenship Education - Content Knowledge (5087): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ancient Greece & Rome
- Ancient Persia, India & China
- Byzantine Empire & Crusades
- Overview of World Religions
- Global Dynasties (300-1400 CE)
- Renaissance, Reformation & Enlightenment
- Early North American History
- Understanding European Colonization
- The American Revolution & US Constitution
- US Expansion, Civil War & Reconstruction Period
- Historical Impact of Trade & Revolutions
- 1800s & 1900s Imperialism Overview
- World War I, the Progressive Era & the New Deal
- World War II & The Cold War
- Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience
- Vietnam War & Political Conservatism
- The Contemporary Role of the US
- Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- US Government & Politics Overview
- World Governments & International Relations
- Geographical Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Overview of Humans & the Environment
- Family Systems, Gender Roles & Religion
- Language, Ethnicity & Culture
- Human Migration & Settlement
- Agriculture & Food Science Basics
- Overview of Political Geography
- Overview of the Economy & Geography
- Overview of Microeconomics
- Overview of Macroeconomics
- Personal Finance Basics
- Praxis Citizenship Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards