About This Chapter
Demographics in Market Research - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to explore different aspects of marketing research. You'll examine the pros and cons of demographic segmentation and see how statistics are used to enhance marketing campaigns. You will also learn how market research projects are established and explore their components. Once you complete this chapter, it won't be a challenge to do the following:
- Explain the effects of multiculturalism on marketing
- Identify marketing controls
- Analyze marketing research reports
- Define primary and secondary data in marketing research
- State the types of competition in marketing
- Describe the benefits of a marketing information system
Online instructors break down marketing concepts in short video lessons, which make the learning process interactive and fun. Use the self-assessment quizzes to see how much knowledge you've gained after going through the chapter. You'll also find a timeline with each video, which include tags that allow you to jump directly to key points.
1. What Is Demographic Segmentation in Marketing? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
There are ways to target a specific market for your product or service. Demographic segmentation is one of the ways to target a specific group of consumers. Read on to learn more about demographic segmentation and its advantages and disadvantages.
2. Marketing Controls: Market Research, Test Marketing & Marketing Statistics
In this lesson, we will explain the purpose of marketing controls and explore related concepts, such as market research, test marketing, and marketing statistics.
3. How to Establish a Marketing Research Project
Most consumers don't realize how much behind-the-scenes research and analysis goes into the marketing of a product. With millions of dollars at stake, marketers must use information available to formulate a key marketing plan, decision or change in strategy.
4. Analyzing & Applying Marketing Research Reports
In this lesson, we learn the basics of applying marketing research reports, including analyzing demand, forecasting sales, and determining levels of overall customer satisfaction. Then, try out the quiz questions.
5. Market Research: Definition, Analysis & Methodology
Conducting a successful business is too complicated and costly to just wing it. In this lesson, you'll learn about market research and the six steps that are involved in it.
6. What Is Primary Data in Marketing Research? - Definition, Sources & Collection
If you ever received a call to participate in a survey, you were part of primary data collection. In this lesson, you'll learn what primary data is. You'll also explore sources of primary data and the collection of it. A short quiz follows.
7. Secondary Data in Marketing Research: Definition, Sources & Collection
Marketing research requires data, and secondary data is often the most convenient and cost-effective option. In this lesson, you'll learn about secondary data, including its sources and how to collect it.
8. What is Competition in Marketing? - Definition & Types
The personal tablet and smartphone are two examples of how competition can drive innovation. This is just one effect of competition, and in this lesson we will explore other effects and types. A short quiz will test your knowledge.
9. What is a Marketing Information System? - Definition, Benefits & Example
Marketing information systems are important tools that help marketing managers and business owners make decisions about product development and promotional activities. In this lesson, you'll learn why they are important and look at some real-life ways companies use them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Marketing 6-12 (275): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Business Management
- Organization & Management in Business
- Business Law & Regulation
- Business & Governmental Regulation
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing & Financial Plans in Business
- Accounting Basics for Business
- Risk Management & Credit-Based Relationships
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Business Ethics & Marketing Strategy
- Consumer Behavior & Decision Making
- Research for Marketing
- Web & Media Marketing
- Product Planning & Promotion
- Advertising, Sales & Promotion in Marketing
- Product Development & Distribution
- Selling & Pricing Strategies
- Marketing & the Global Economy
- Sustainable & International Marketing
- Introduction to International Trade
- Public Relations for Business
- Business Leadership & Decision-Making
- Marketing Data Analysis
- Business Math Applications
- Business Technology & Information Systems
- Technology & Tools for Marketing
- Marketing & E-Commerce
- Marketing Education
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Establishing Professionalism at Work
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment
- TExES Marketing 6-12 Flashcards