About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from business math will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster way to learn business math. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding modes of depreciation or accelerated depreciation methods.
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about depreciation and salvage values
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the depreciation and salvage values chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the depreciation and salvage values chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any depreciation and salvage values question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a depreciation and salvage values unit of a standard college business math course. Topics covered include:
- Using methods of depreciation
- Changing estimates in light of partial-year depreciation
- Reporting depreciation on a balance sheet
- Identifying accelerated depreciation methods
1. Accelerated Depreciation Methods
When it comes to calculating depreciation amounts for large office equipment or vehicles, there are two common methods that allow you to calculate more depreciation in the first few years of the product's life. Learn about them in this video lesson.
2. Methods of Depreciation
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the differences between the different depreciation methods that are available to you. We will discuss three different methods depending on how you use the equipment that you want to calculate the depreciation for.
3. Partial-Year Depreciation & Changes in Estimates
This video lesson will teach you about depreciation calculations for taxes and how to calculate partial-year depreciation for large items that you own for just part of the year. Learn how changes in estimates may affect these calculations.
4. Reporting Depreciation on the Balance Sheet
In this video lesson, we talk about how to report depreciation on the balance sheet versus the income statement. Learn why the numbers may be different.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Math: Help and Review course
- Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions: Help and Review
- Quadratic Equations and Functions: Help and Review
- Linear Equations and Inequalities: Help and Review
- Number Sense - Business Math: Help and Review
- Interest & Purchases: Help and Review
- Probability and Statistics for Business: Help and Review
- Math for Financial Analysis
- Business Math Applications
- Project Management Formulas & Calculations
- Categorical Data