About This Chapter
Who's It For:
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering derivatives and differentiation material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn derivatives and differentiation in business calculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding derivatives and differentiation in business calculus
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about derivatives and differentiation in business calculus
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Derivatives and Differentiation in Business Calculus chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Derivatives and Differentiation in Business Calculus chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about derivatives and differentiation in business calculus. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a derivatives and differentiation unit of a standard business calculus course. Topics covered include:
- Defining derivatives
- Calculating derivatives using limits
- Representing derivatives by graphing
- Differentiating equations
- Using the quotient rule
- Differentiating factored polynomials using the product rule and expansion
1. Derivatives: The Formal Definition
The derivative defines calculus. In this lesson, learn how the derivative is related to the instantaneous rate of change with Super C, the cannonball man.
2. Using Limits to Calculate the Derivative
If you know the position of someone as a function of time, you can calculate the derivative -- the velocity of that person -- as a function of time as well. Use the definition of the derivative and your knowledge of limits to do just that in this lesson.
3. Derivatives: Graphical Representations
Take a graphical look at the definitive element of calculus: the derivative. The slope of a function is the derivative, as you will see in this lesson.
4. What It Means To Be 'Differentiable'
Lots of jets can go from zero to 300 mph quickly, but super-jets can do this instantaneously. In this lesson, learn what that means for differentiability.
5. When to Use the Quotient Rule for Differentiation
Lo D Hi minus Hi D Lo, all over the square of what's below! Learn the quotient rule chant for differentiating functions that take the form of fractions in this lesson.
6. Differentiating Factored Polynomials: Product Rule and Expansion
Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn what happens to derivatives when you multiply functions together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Calculus: Help & Review course
- Functions for Business Calculus
- Working with Limits in Business Calculus
- Calculating & Graphing Derivatives in Business Calculus
- Derivatives of Functions in Business Calculus
- Optimization in Business Calculus
- Logarithms in Business Calculus
- Integrals in Business Calculus
- Growth Models in Business Calculus
- Multi-Variable Calculus