About This Chapter
Who's It For:
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering derivatives of functions material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn derivatives of functions in business calculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding derivatives of functions in business calculus
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about derivatives of functions in business calculus
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Derivatives of Functions in Business Calculus chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Derivatives of Functions in Business Calculus chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about derivatives of functions in business calculus. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a derivatives of functions unit of a standard business calculus course. Topics covered include:
- Marginal analysis and approximations
- Implicit functions and how to find their derivatives
- Graphing the derivative of a function
- Exponential functions and their derivatives
1. Implicit Functions
Sometimes inputting a variable into a function 'black box' doesn't yield a simple output. Find out what happens when you can't isolate the dependent variable on one side of the equal sign.
2. How to Find Derivatives of Implicit Functions
How do you define the rate of change when your function has variables that cannot be separated? Learn how implicit differentiation can be used to find dy/dx even when you don't have y=f(x)!
3. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
4. Calculating Derivatives of Exponential Equations
Earth's population is booming! But why is the population increasing so much more drastically than it did many years ago? In this lesson, learn how to calculate the rates of change in exponentials by discovering the rules of derivatives with exponents.
5. Graphing the Derivative from Any Function
When you know the rules, calculating the derivates of equations is relatively straightforward, although it can be tedious! What happens, though, when you don't know the function? In this lesson, learn how to graph the derivative of a function based solely on a graph of the function!
6. Credit Derivatives: Definition & Types
In this lesson, you will become familiarized with the concept of credit derivatives and how they are used. You will also explore the popular types of credit derivatives used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Calculus: Help & Review course
- Functions for Business Calculus
- Working with Limits in Business Calculus
- Derivatives & Differentiation in Business Calculus
- Calculating & Graphing Derivatives in Business Calculus
- Optimization in Business Calculus
- Logarithms in Business Calculus
- Integrals in Business Calculus
- Growth Models in Business Calculus
- Multi-Variable Calculus