About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other research methods in psychology work.
- Identify the descriptive statistics in psychology concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our research methods in psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn descriptive statistics in psychology and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding frequency distributions, measures of central tendency, measures of variability, or any other descriptive statistics in psychology topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their descriptive statistics in psychology unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in psychology research methods
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning descriptive statistics in psychology simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live research methods in psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn descriptive statistics in psychology on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define descriptive statistics.
- Examine the different types of frequency distributions.
- Understand how measures of central tendency are used.
- Describe the significance of measures of variability.
1. What Are Descriptive Statistics? - Definition and Uses
This lesson is a simple walk-through of the common types of descriptive statistics and why they are important for understanding psychological research. You will likely be familiar with many of them but some you may not be.
2. Frequency Distributions: Definition & Types
This lesson explores the process of creating frequency distributions and histograms to give readers of your future scientific articles a numerical or visual way to understand the data you have presented.
3. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
4. Measures of Variability: Range, Variance & Standard Deviation
Looking specifically at range, variance, and standard deviation, this lesson explores the relationship between these measures and samples, populations, and what it says about your data.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Research Methods in Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Principles of Ethical Research: Tutoring Solution
- Setting Up the Research Study: Tutoring Solution
- Data Collection Techniques in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Nonexperimental Research: Tutoring Solution
- Qualitative Research Methods and Design: Tutoring Solution
- Quasi-Experimental Research: Tutoring Solution
- Sampling and Generalization: Tutoring Solution
- Measurement in Research: Tutoring Solution
- Internal Validity in Research: Tutoring Solution
- External Validity: Tutoring Solution
- Experimental Design: Tutoring Solution
- Inferential Statistics in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Evaluating Research Findings: Tutoring Solution