About This Chapter
Design of Technical & Business Documents - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines the design of technical and business documentation, reviewing the structure of different forms and analyzing their goals and characteristics. You'll learn about subjects such as organization in technical documents, the components of a business letter, standard operating procedure, and more. Other covered topics include:
- Technical instructions
- E-mails and memos
- Trends and examples of document design
- Presenting data visually
- Document font
- Document reproduction
You can use the practice quizzes attached to each lesson as a way of confirming your understanding of individual topics before moving on. These quizzes can be watched an unlimited number of times and will direct you right back to the relevant portion of the lesson whenever you answer a question incorrectly. At the end of the chapter, you can test yourself on a more complete level by means of the practice final exam.
1. Layout & Design of Technical Documents
Being a clear writer is only half the battle when it comes to technical writing. In addition, you should make sure that your pages are laid out and designed clearly. This lesson provides guidance on how to do both.
2. Organization in Technical Documents
In order for our readers to understand what we are trying to communicate, we must effectively organize our information. This video provides tips on how to organize writing for technical documents.
3. Technical Instructions: Purpose, Content & Structure
Technical instructions, also called technical manuals, are an important feature to include with your technology product. In this lesson, we'll examine how the function, content, and structure of technical instructions all work together.
4. The Purpose, Content & Structure of Manuals
As work tasks and tools become more complicated, well-developed manuals become ever more necessary and prevalent. In this lesson, you'll learn about manuals, including their purpose, content and structure.
5. Purpose, Content & Structure of Proposals
Proposals are an important part of business communications. In this lesson, you'll learn about the purpose, content, and structure of proposal writing in a business setting. A short quiz follows.
6. Standard Operating Procedure (SOP): Purpose, Content & Structure
Standardization is key to efficiency and productivity in the business world, and necessary in the technical and scientific realm. In this lesson, you'll learn about standard operating procedures, including their purpose, content, and structure.
7. Components of a Business Letter
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to write a formal business letter that you can use to write official letters to businesses. This is also the type of letter you will write when you are sending out your resume to businesses.
8. Purpose, Content & Structure of Emails
Emails are perhaps the most ubiquitous form of business communication today. In this lesson, you'll learn about the purpose, content, and structure of emails in a business context. A short quiz follows.
9. Purpose, Content & Structure of Memos
One of the most prevalent internal business documents produced by an organization is the memo. In this lesson, you'll examine the purpose of a memo, its typical content and its structure. A short quiz follows.
10. Basic Components of Document Design: Trends & Examples
In this lesson, we are going to look at some basic components of document design and some current design trends in order to create a more professional looking, and therefore, credible document. We will consider the overall look of a document, its typography, and various enhancements that can add interest.
11. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
12. Font: Styles & Types
Learn about fonts and a bit of the history about them. Find out the importance of using the right font style, and where you can download font styles to your computer. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
13. Document Reproduction: Definition & Methods
Modern business settings typically rely on a number of methods to make copies of important documents. In this lesson we will review common document reproduction methods and the basics of how each method works.
14. Preparing a Request for Proposal (RFP) & Soliciting Proposals
In this lesson, we will learn about a Request for Proposal (RFP). The lesson covers: what an RFP is, its components and how businesses use it to purchase goods and services.
15. Request for Proposal vs. Request for Quote
When a product or service needs to be purchased for a project, there are a number of requests involved. Some of these, like a request for proposal and request for quote, are sometimes confused. Learn more about request for proposal and request for quote.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Overview
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Using Software & Media to Communicate
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Business Records Management
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Group Communication Skills in the Workplace
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- Human Resource Management Basics
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Managerial & Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards