About This Chapter
Determinants in Health Policy - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a high-level overview of determinants in health policy. Taught by expert instructors, these lessons explain the relationships between health care policy and different political systems, leaders and sociocultural norms. You'll also examine health policy resources and stakeholders. Each lesson comes with a short quiz, and the chapter concludes with a multiple-choice exam. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you have any, and the chapter is accessible on virtually any device that has an Internet connection. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Evaluate examples of determinants in health policy
- Explain how leaders and political systems can affect health care policy
- Describe the effect that sociocultural norms can have on health care problems
- Recognize health policy stakeholders
- Identify financial and administrative health policy resources
1. Determinants of Health Policy: Definition & Examples
Determinants of health policy are influenced by many different factors such as behavior, biology, health services, social factors, and policies. This lesson will discuss definitions and examples of health policy determinants.
2. How Political Systems & Leaders Affect Health Care Policy
In this lesson, you'll learn how political systems and leaders affect health care policy. We'll explore effective development and implementation. We'll also look at a current example of a health care debate and the views of two government parties.
3. How Sociocultural Norms Affect Health Care Problems
This lesson focuses on the effects sociocultural norms have on decisions and policies related to healthcare. A definition of sociocultural norms is provided as well as their role in decision and policy making.
4. Identifying Health Policy Stakeholders
In the highly regulated healthcare industry, there are many participants who each have their own point of view, from providers to patients. This lesson will identify these stakeholders and the role they play in changing healthcare policy.
5. Health Policy Resources: Financial & Administrative
Health policies are important to public health and general health care. This lesson will discuss financial and administrative resources for health policies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 302: Health Services Policy course
- Introduction to Health & Public Policy
- Overview of the U.S. Health Care System
- Organization of Health Services & Systems
- Health Care Financing
- Health Service Providers, Care & Delivery
- Public Health & U.S. Health Care
- U.S. Health Services & Policy
- Health Policy Development, Implementation & Impact
- Understanding Health Policy Analysis
- Analyzing Health Programs & Systems
- Health Policy Research
- Required Assignments for Health 302