About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other linear algebra work.
- Identify the determinants concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Linear Algebra Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn determinants in linear algebra and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to take a determinant of a matrix, solve systems of linear equations using determinants, evaluate higher-order determinants or any other determinants in linear algebra topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their determinants in linear algebra unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in linear algebra
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning determinants in linear algebra simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn determinants in linear algebra on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review how to take a determinant of a matrix.
- Learn how to solve systems of linear equations in two and three variables using determinants.
- Study how to evaluate high-order determinants in algebra.
- Understand how to derive Laplace expansions for the determinant.
1. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
2. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily find the solution of a linear system in two variables by just using determinants. All you need to find the complete solution is to find three determinants.
3. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use Cramer's rule to help you find your solutions by finding just four determinants. Learn the numbers to use for your determinants.
4. How to Evaluate Higher-Order Determinants in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to learn the rules for taking the determinant of any size matrix. Learn the kind of matrix that you need before you can take the determinant. Watch as the pattern of the determinant takes shape.
5. Laplace Expansion Equation & Finding Determinants
It is fascinating how a single number can tells us something about a matrix. One such number is the determinant. In this lesson we find determinants using the Laplace expansion equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Linear Algebra: Tutoring Solution course