About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering determinants in linear algebra material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn determinants in linear algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding working with determinants in linear algebra
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about determinants in linear algebra
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Determinants in Linear Algebra chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Determinants in Linear Algebra chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about determinants in linear algebra. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a determinants in linear algebra unit of a standard algebra course. Topics covered include:
- The determinant of a matrix
- Evaluating high order determinants
- Deriving Laplace expansions
- Solving systems of linear equations in two or three variables
1. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
2. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily find the solution of a linear system in two variables by just using determinants. All you need to find the complete solution is to find three determinants.
3. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use Cramer's rule to help you find your solutions by finding just four determinants. Learn the numbers to use for your determinants.
4. How to Evaluate Higher-Order Determinants in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to learn the rules for taking the determinant of any size matrix. Learn the kind of matrix that you need before you can take the determinant. Watch as the pattern of the determinant takes shape.
5. Laplace Expansion Equation & Finding Determinants
It is fascinating how a single number can tells us something about a matrix. One such number is the determinant. In this lesson we find determinants using the Laplace expansion equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.