About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP European history work.
- Identify the AP European history exam essay development and writing concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP European history tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about developing and writing their AP European history exam essay and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding basic essay structure, essay planning, development of an analytical thesis or any other AP European history essay exam development and writing topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their history learning
- Prefer learning history visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their AP European history exam essay development and writing unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP European history
- Don't have access to their history teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about developing and writing your AP European history exam essay simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live European history tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about developing and writing your AP European history exam essay on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to quickly write a great essay.
- Discuss basic essay structure.
- Explain how essays should be organized.
- Understand how to structure paragraphs in an essay.
- Differentiate between a main idea and a thesis statement.
- Describe what makes a captivating essay introduction.
- Understand how to write a strong essay body.
- Learn how to write strong transitions.
- Discuss the use of sources when writing essays.
- Proofread essays and revise mistakes.
- Edit essays to improve their content.
1. How to Write a Great Essay Quickly
Many tests will require you to write a timed essay. You may feel panicked at the idea of having to produce a high-quality essay under a tight time constraint. But you can relax: this video shows you four basic steps to follow so that you can write a great essay quickly.
2. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
3. How to Organize an Essay
In this video, we will cover the steps involved in organizing an essay. We'll talk about titles, introductory paragraphs, concluding paragraphs, main points, transition statements and editing.
4. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
5. Writing: Main Idea, Thesis Statement & Topic Sentences
What exactly is your essay about? Writing great thesis statements and topic sentences that align with your main idea will help readers to understand the theme, ideas, and central focus of your essay.
6. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
7. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
8. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
9. How to Use Sources to Write Essays and Evaluate Evidence
When writing an essay, you will often be asked to utilize appropriate sources for evidence, including facts and definitions. In this video, we will talk about the ways we can utilize and evaluate sources and evidence.
10. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
11. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
12. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
13. Historical Methodology: Evidence and Interpretation
In this lesson. we will learn about historical methodology. We will learn how history is constructed based on evidence and how various interpretations are formulated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Tutoring Solution course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Reformation Roots & Teachings: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Reformation's Effects Across Europe: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Rise of Monarchical Nation States: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - 19th Century Revolutionary Movements: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The First Industrial Revolution: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - World War I: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - World War II: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Tutoring Solution
- AP European History - Integration - Europe after the Soviet Union: Tutoring Solution
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP European History Exam: Tutoring Solution