About This Chapter
About This Course
This chapter's lessons look at what big picture thinking is and how it can benefit a business. Our instructors explain topics including:
- Uses for big picture thinking
- Strategic and operational planning
- Why big picture thinking works
- Two types of business thinkers
- Problems in big picture thinking
These corporate training lessons are available to watch anytime on a computer, smartphone or tablet. Your managers and employees can check their knowledge of big picture thinking through short quizzes at the end of each lesson. The quiz questions also can serve as a springboard for discussion.
How It Helps
- Boosts employee performance: Employees who understand the big picture are better performers, leading to increased productivity and profitability for the company.
- Improves planning: Your employees and managers will learn techniques for strategic and operational planning companywide and in their own divisions or departments.
- Breaks down barriers: By understanding common problems that get in the way of big picture thinking, such as making excuses, your managers and employees can work together to develop methods to solve them.
When these lessons are finished, your employees and managers should be able to:
- Define and apply big picture thinking
- Set goals for strategic business thinking
- Tell how big picture thinking benefits a business
- List differences between big picture thinkers and detail-oriented thinkers
- Explain ways to surmount obstacles to big picture thinking
1. What Is Big Picture Thinking in Business?
Big picture thinkers change the world - they create exciting products, new opportunities and generate non-stop ideas. Big picture thinkers can help a business move ahead in profitable avenues. This lesson discusses the value of having big picture thinking in your business.
2. Strategic Business Thinking: Definition & Examples
During this lesson, we'll define the term 'strategic business thinking' and provide examples of the process. The lesson will also expound on each component that makes up strategic business thinking.
3. The Benefits of Understanding the Big Picture at Work
In this lesson, we'll review the concept of understanding the big picture in the workplace and discuss the various benefits and advantages of having this knowledge.
4. Big Picture vs. Detail-Oriented Thinking
As you are organizing your business, a balance of big thinkers and detail-oriented people are needed. This ensures that ideas and opportunities are presented and the details are executed.
5. Barriers to Big Picture Thinking
Your company feels very stuck. You want to grow and make big changes, but for some reason you're still in the same place. Use this lesson to determine if you need to remove barriers to big picture thinking in your organization.
6. Practical Application: Overcoming Barriers to Big Picture Thinking in Business
Big accomplishments require thinking about the big picture. For a variety of reasons, big picture thinking isn't natural or easy for many business leaders and employees, but the value of learning to think big cannot be overstated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Picture Thinking in Business course